Something Ate The End Off My Hop Vine!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrogster

Reaction score
I got home from work this afternoon and checked on my POR hop vine's progress. Unfortunately, something has nibbled the growing tip off the single vine which is all that came up from the rhizome which I planted a couple of months ago. The vine is currently about a metre tall. Will the vine develop a new growing tip, or is my hop crop buggered for the year?

Same thing happened to me 3 days ago, POR as well. It looks like it might be shot :(

Andrew

Must be a POR hippy on the loose , they are from the same family

Batz

I wouldn't worry. It should sprout again.

you should get more shoots from the ground coming up but that shoot won't go out anymore from the end only from the side shoots on it.

My hops are going very poorly! my cluster is dead! hasn't popped its head out of the ground at all, oh well.

Jayse

i think gmk might have been around guys and bittrn the heads off as ken loves the hopes lol :blink:

delboy

scrogster said:
The vine is currently about a metre tall. Will the vine develop a new growing tip, or is my hop crop buggered for the year?
[post="85192"][/post]​

Think of it as a bonus...it'll now sprout into a "Y" shape with two main feelers instead of one...take it from me ;)

PZ.

hey delboy, love the handle and loved that show, but wasn't delboy the long tall blonde skinny one?

Jayse

Sorry to hear about your hop vine scrogster, but I agree with Fingerlickin that 2 shoots will sprout.

My friendly local possum broke all the shoots off my grape vine. Left them lying in a pile on the ground with the tips bitten off. I've rigged up some chicken wire to cover it now.

That grape vine is my beergarden in the making. There are a few smaller shoots lower down, so it might survive. Could have a beer garden yet.

Funny you should say that Batz, being an old hippie myself, I've been thinking about ways to get some choof into a strong ale. I've considered the idea of putting some dry stuff into a hop bag, and dry hop with it. Suppose I could just leave it in secondary and taste/test it now and then (daily).

dickTed said:
<snipped> Funny you should say that Batz, being an old hippie myself, I've been thinking about ways to get some choof
<end snip>
[post="85236"][/post]​

Sounds like you'd be right at home brewing with myself or batz or both together :blink: .

Don't worry about trying to get it in your beer its surely a wasted effort.

smoking the dope that they say killed elvis B)
Jayse

delboy said:
i think gmk might have been around guys and bittrn the heads off as ken loves the hops lol

delboy
[post="85212"][/post]​

I've heard this too !

I didn't believe it but then again anyone who chucks his kids on the roof at brew days... :blink:
And Jayse and I did smell something funny that day :eek:

Batz :ph34r:

Fingerlickin_B said:
scrogster said:
The vine is currently about a metre tall. Will the vine develop a new growing tip, or is my hop crop buggered for the year?
[post="85192"][/post]​

Think of it as a bonus...it'll now sprout into a "Y" shape with two main feelers instead of one...take it from me ;)

PZ.
[post="85230"][/post]​

Well I just had another look at my poor POR and it looks like it is sprouting side shoot from where the leaves join the main stem :) . Yippeee.

Andrew

Back