somerset cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hey guys,

i want to try my hand at making a decent cider and saw the somerset gold in the recipe database so figured i'd use that as a start. anyone brewed it recently? i have all the ingredients, but would be using the mad millie cider yeast, so am considering adding some lactose for sweetness in case it gets too dry.. have no idea what to expect, but just thought i'd check if anyone had brewed it lately and had good results.

I too am considering knocking one of these up and would love some insight into how they taste ect... I really like the James Squire Orchid crush cider, be good to hit something lke that

I too am considering knocking one of these up and would love some insight into how they taste ect... I really like the James Squire Orchid crush cider, be good to hit something lke that

i made it but i stop the ferment short when it gets to how sweet i like it, then i crash kill to stop yeast activity. i use s-04 too as i don't like a super dry cider. i then bottle them and keep them in my fridge un-carbonated for about 2 months minimum before tucking in. it always gets slightly carbonated because of the time it takes to get the yeast to stop but it works for me. my wife doesn't drink beer so this is her drink and she likes it less carbonated too. if you like something like that cider, give my way a go because as it's fermenting, take small samples and when you like the taste:abv, either crash chill it, or bottle it and keep it in the regular fridge to slow/halt the yeast. it won't be super fizzy but i prefer it. my 2c.

if using that method though, check the temperature capabilities of your yeast. don't use a dry white wine yeast for example because those buggers keep going at low temps and you'll get bottle bombs. let me know if any of that is unclear

Latest posts

Back