Some Grain In Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
I did a brew yesterday and steeped some grain. Now it turns out the bag had a small hole...I have put the yeast in and its in fermentation. Will the grain fall out and not be an issue?

I did a brew yesterday and steeped some grain. Now it turns out the bag had a small hole...I have put the yeast in and its in fermentation. Will the grain fall out and not be an issue?
Firstly to answer your question, Yes the grain will drop out of the final beer.

Now a question for you.
Did you boil the liquid after you had steeped the grains?
You need to do this for at least 15 minutes to sterilise the runnings after removing the grains and before adding this to your other ingredients or you are asking for infection problems.
Some will say if you boiled it and it had grain in it you will get bitter tannins from the grain husks. This is a possibility but may be so slight you will not notice it.

Cheers
Nige

Firstly to answer your question, Yes the grain will drop out of the final beer.

Now a question for you.
Did you boil the liquid after you had steeped the grains?
You need to do this for at least 15 minutes to sterilise the runnings after removing the grains and before adding this to your other ingredients or you are asking for infection problems.
Some will say if you boiled it and it had grain in it you will get bitter tannins from the grain husks. This is a possibility but may be so slight you will not notice it.

Cheers
Nige
Thanks Nige,

Yes it was boiled, infact I boiled the grain too. Will this give to much bitterness to the batch ?

Back