Some gear, no idea - new to brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skuzy

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I find myself here after being given a gift to 'brew beer' at fathers day... i was given an ikegger set.. which i now understand is only the serving side lol... so hoping to learn alot (and already iam overwhelmed) here and figure out what else is needed to do this right.

cheers

Hi everyone

I find myself here after being given a gift to 'brew beer' at fathers day... i was given an ikegger set.. which i now understand is only the serving side lol... so hoping to learn alot (and already iam overwhelmed) here and figure out what else is needed to do this right.

cheers
Well welcome I'm also somewhat new to brewing and started with an ikegger kit. I'm now reading and learning more about AG on here good place to start!

I would suggest keep it simple, fermenter, cleaning and sterilising gear and throw a kit brew together to start. Keep reading and find a homebrew shop to go and have a yarn and look at options. Is overwheling to start but throw a couple brews together and you will soon start to work out the basics. Not sure what your temps are like but temp control for fermenting would be my next suggestion.

I would suggest keep it simple, fermenter, cleaning and sterilising gear and throw a kit brew together to start. Keep reading and find a homebrew shop to go and have a yarn and look at options. Is overwheling to start but throw a couple brews together and you will soon start to work out the basics. Not sure what your temps are like but temp control for fermenting would be my next suggestion.
I'd also add that I was told to use filtered water instead of just tap water will give better taste

I'd also add that I was told to use filtered water instead of just tap water will give better taste
It depends on your location. I am not sure about Perth's water, but here in the Hunter I just use it straight from the garden hose.

I would not be using water straight from the garden hose , especially in summer with the garden hose in the sun.

It depends on your location. I am not sure about Perth's water, but here in the Hunter I just use it straight from the garden hose.
That's a good point although I'd assume your tap water would still contain a certain amount of chemicals which would interfere with taste?

I would worry about making beer before you get carried away with looking at water treatment. I wont’t say ignore it but I think your water would have to be fairly bad to notice any effect as a new brewer.
Can’t hurt to throw in some camden (I think it was) to eliminate chlorine perhaps and in future track down a water report to see what you are dealing with. For now make some beer if it is horrible then start looking for something to blame.

Yeh didn't really think about that lol. I've also been meaning to chuck in a Campden tablet as well.
But I definitely think that water quality doesn't crack the top 3 to worry about as long as your tap water is drinkable.

As for OP, the easiest thing to do is to go to your local homebrew store and buy a Mangrove Jacks starter kit or whatever. Try and control the fermentation as close to 18-21* as you can, and get a recipe off them or from here and you'll make great beer with little effort.

I've got mate who has a robobrew v3.. so will be using that until I get my own.. still busy reading and watching YouTube at this stage.. with only an ikegger I think I need a fermenter and fridge (i.e. A kegerator) before I can really get my teeth stuck into this

I've got mate who has a robobrew v3.. so will be using that until I get my own.. still busy reading and watching YouTube at this stage.. with only an ikegger I think I need a fermenter and fridge (i.e. A kegerator) before I can really get my teeth stuck into this
Any old fridge or freezer with a temp controller should be fine for fermenting. Bottle anything you can't fit in your keg in PET bottles and you don't need a capper either to start off. Keep an eye on gumtree etc. I see a lot of home brew kits and gear for sale just know your prices as some are the same as new cost.

And yes it is a slippery slope

My understanding is after ferment, then keg.

But keg needs to be chilled in order to carbonate.

But keg doesn't fit in fridge.

So Buy kegerator.. lol

Ideally you want one fridge/freezer for fermenting and one for kegs. A year from now you may well be the proud owner of a whole herd of fridges and freezers.

Get a fermenter and a fresh wort kit with us05 yeast it's very clean and forgiving. Ferment some where stable ie laundry and temps any where from 16 to 25 will work without issue. In saying that 19 deg is ideal. However you want the temp to be as stable as possible. You can also buy a cheap second hand fridge drill a hole in the door and add a tap makes a great kegerator then later on when you buy a vacuum sealer and hops in bulk you can use the freezer on top to store your hops. I think somebody already mentioned the slippery slope

Hey Skuzy here is a brew I did on the weekend just gone.

Very Easy Recipe.
My understanding is after ferment, then keg.

But keg needs to be chilled in order to carbonate.

But keg doesn't fit in fridge.

So Buy kegerator.. lol

I had a look on gumtree for a few days and ended up buying a small second hand Fridge for $40. Worked perfectly but was just filthy dirty, so after a clean up I ripped out the shelves and I can fit 2 kegs and my gas bottle easy.
beer-fridge.10831

my-brew-stuff.1560
Regards,
Norto

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back