Some Basic Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean83

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Haven't done a kit and kilo for some time as I have been having too much fun with BIAB, but over the christmas break I was drinking some Mangrove Jack Classic Blonde at a mates place that he had put on tap. It wasn't terrible, so he gave me a spare tin he had and said we should see who can brew it better. I like the idea of the challenge and it also means there will be twice as much beer for us to drink next time.

Wanting to do well I have also gone and brought a second tin from the LHBS two packets of carapils malt (250g each) and also have sitting in the fridge 60g of Amarillo and 60g of Galaxy.

Was contemplating doing one straight batch with the addition of one of the carapils packets, and then doing a second batch adding either some of the Galaxy or Amarillo.

I was just planning too steep 25g of either hops for 15 - 20 minutes with the grains and add to the fermentor all at once.

I dont want to have something to overpowering on the nose hop wise or anything to floral or fruity like in taste as my mate probably will turn his nose up at it. But I also see it as a chance to show him that these basic kits can be jazzed up a bit and that there is a bit more too it.

Any follow up advice would be great.

Cheers Sean

The carapils is only going to add sweetness. I presume you are not going to actually add the grain to the fermenter.

I reckon both Amarillo and Galaxy are going to add "some" fruitiness but 25g should be ok.

Why not do a BIAB with him?

tnd

The carapils is only going to add sweetness. I presume you are not going to actually add the grain to the fermenter.

I reckon both Amarillo and Galaxy are going to add "some" fruitiness but 25g should be ok.

Why not do a BIAB with him?

tnd

No definetly not adding the grain to the fermentor, obviously I will steep the grain and then strain the liquid off into the fermentor. I am looking for some alteration in taste some some passionfruit from the galaxy would be good but just nothing too extreme, more of a variation to what he is use too.

Yeah I would like nothing more to do a Biab with him but he is in Bundy and I am in Brissy that four hour trip each way makes it hard. But If we can get this done and then get together in a month or two it should be good to go. Just making it a bit a fun between mates

Another pearl of "wisdom" from tnd.... I've found carapils is great for adding extra head retention and mouth feel.

Thanks Pyrosx,

I had the same thought a bit better head retention and body, but didn't want to get into it at all. Do you think the 25g is enough? I don't want it to be a stone and wood passionfruit explosion and if I was looking for that taste I would possibly add some wheat. However all I am trying to do is trying to jazz up a kit to show a mate he can mix it up a little.

Sean

Back