Sodium Percarbonate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 8 Halapeno chilli growing in the hop yard. Came in a punnet from Bunnings back in September and are starting to produce very well at the moment. Hot as all fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffire! :D

I've got a fairly large and vigorous passionfruit vine coming on but WTF does that have to do with Sod Perc?

I love perc, got half a sack in a BB a while ago. It's particularly good for zapping things like stained tea towels and my Volleys. I pinched the small 1/4 cup plastic measure from the kitchen drawer and use one of those per bucket of water, or one in a fermenter to clean overnight.

Perc is a solid "version" of hydrogen peroxide except that the substrate is Sodium Carbonate as opposed to water. I used to treat my infected ingrowing toenails with hydrogen peroxide and the stuff would foam up mightily. Doc told me that every oxygen bubble represented a bug being zapped.

I've got a fairly large and vigorous passionfruit vine coming on but WTF does that have to do with Sod Perc?

I love perc, got half a sack in a BB a while ago. It's particularly good for zapping things like stained tea towels and my Volleys. I pinched the small 1/4 cup plastic measure from the kitchen drawer and use one of those per bucket of water, or one in a fermenter to clean overnight.

Perc is a solid "version" of hydrogen peroxide except that the substrate is Sodium Carbonate as opposed to water. I used to treat my infected ingrowing toenails with hydrogen peroxide and the stuff would foam up mightily. Doc told me that every oxygen bubble represented a bug being zapped.

A solution of sodium percarbonate and water will contain hydrogen peroxide temporarily. It will degrade into water oxygen and soda ash.

I just ran pure sodium perc through all my brewery over the weekend. There were bits of gunk in the hoses at the QD connections and I didnt trust the plate chiller any more. Filled 20 litres of perc and water in the electric HLT set to boil and ran both pumps. From HLT through chiller, all hoses into kettle, then back to HLT boiling for about 3. Chucked alot of my stainless bits and pieces in the HLT too. Once it got to about 60C the solution started fizzing and forthing up. Now everything is gleaming and after a boiling water only run for another hour and a flush with some starsan, im confident of cleanliness and sanitation again. Gotta love clean in place solutions.

At the end of a brew I run the waste water from my plate chiller back into the HLT, and some into a 20L bucket, its already quite warm from the heat exchange. I throw some sodium perc into the HLT and then recirculate this back through the pump, hoses and wort side of the plate chiller for 20min or so. Whilst its recirculating I bleed some off to scrub out the kettle and the MT. I then drain the SP solution, dump the fresh water form the bucket into the HLT and recirc again to flush the SP out.

I'm a bit pedantic when it comes to cleaning my rig! ;)

I have 8 Halapeno chilli growing in the hop yard. Came in a punnet from Bunnings back in September and are starting to produce very well at the moment. Hot as all fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffire! :D

I have a great Green Jalapeno sauce recipe if you would like, it is hot but tasty.

I use it with boiling water Geoff and the cleaning power is amazing. A scungy cube with a couple of litres boiling water, sealed and shaken vigorously comes up as good as new in minutes or less. I'm currently using the pure stuff which requires less rinsing than napisan etc (I'm guessing it's the surfactants etc that leave the slime with napisan and related products).

Where do you get the pure stuff? I'd like greater control of my dosages, and I keep having to rethink it with every different source.

Catering suppliers and local cleaning supplies companies should be able to source it for you. It's about $80 a 25k sack or something like that, which is why it's a good idea to do a bulk buy as it comes in cheaper if you can get say 10 sacks. Works out about a third of the price per gram of perc than buying napisan.

Where do you get the pure stuff? I'd like greater control of my dosages, and I keep having to rethink it with every different source.

I got it in a bulk buy organised by iamozziyob.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but what is the best and cheapest stuff you guys are using at the moment in 2017??

Leftovers from bulk buy 2 years ago. Chemical company in vic, can research if you want.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but what is the best and cheapest stuff you guys are using at the moment in 2017??

we source from redox here in victoria, you need a functioning business to put the order through, and may need the use of a fork to unload depending on how much you get, the drivers dont like to sit round while you unload by hand.

we get ours for about ~$30-$35 for a 25kg bag.... I have 3 sitting at home, one for the shed, one for the missus and one for other venues that may need a good cleaning.

Bit more pricey but Aurora Cleaning have 25kg bags at $80 pick up from Dandenong. Just got one delivered to Sydney. Rang Redox and a bunch of others here and none stock in Syd. Could get in Bris or Melb ....
They also have Meta Sil (and a bunch of other chems), but can't meta ship interstate. They were pretty helpful and you might be able to do a deal

So does the mean that when I pump boiling SP solution through my brewery it is sterilising it as well? What is ideal ratio/temp?

Slight thread spin

I do this too, first to clean but then I'll also run the pump for 10-15 minutes while the wort is boiling to give it a real good nuking.

There are other chemicals that are powdered hydrogen peroxide non-chlorine shock potassium peroxymonosulfate and disinfectants like .Virkon. Virkon is a multi-purpose disinfectant. It contains oxone (potassium peroxymonosulfate), sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate, sulfamic acid, and inorganic buffers.
May be worth looking at some of these products .

we source from redox here in victoria, you need a functioning business to put the order through, and may need the use of a fork to unload depending on how much you get, the drivers dont like to sit round while you unload by hand.

I bought some for the winery through a reputable industry supplier, the bag that turned up was obviously from Redox. Since I buy yeast from them anyway I'll go direct next time.

Yes, they carry the Mauri range. I really like AWRI Fusion for the bordeaux varieties, especially if they are a little bit green.

Back