Quantcast

Sodium Percarbonate

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Joined
10/4/04
Messages
3,416
Reaction score
989
e,nin all, can anyone tell me where i can if possible get hold of sodium percarbonate in bulk,obviously not too large but buying it in the 25 gram packets can be costly. cheers spog <_<
 

Hoops

Well-Known Member
Joined
30/11/03
Messages
1,289
Reaction score
2
Have you tried the search function?????

Sodium percarbonate is NAPISAN
Go buy 500g of unscented homebrand (it's stronger) napisan - great stuff

Hoops
 

Ducatiboy stu

Well-Known Member
Joined
2/4/05
Messages
14,269
Reaction score
3,831
Yep...

Home brand Napisan will clean like nothing you have ever seen.

I use it to soak cubes and ferms and they come out cleaner than when they are new. And it removes the smell.
 

vlbaby

Beer Budda
Joined
21/9/04
Messages
560
Reaction score
0
Is napisan ok as just a cleaner? or can it be used to sterilise also?
I thought it was only a cleaner.

vlbaby.
 

Plastic Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/11/04
Messages
483
Reaction score
0
The Aldi brand "Napisan" is also a good cheap option.
 

pint of lager

brewing on the verandah
Joined
9/5/04
Messages
2,287
Reaction score
11
I don't think much would survive a good dose of napisan, but it has to be rinsed off thoroughly, and the surface being cleaned will end up at the same level of sanitation as your rinse water.
 

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Joined
6/4/05
Messages
3,651
Reaction score
1,052
vlbaby said:
Is napisan ok as just a cleaner? or can it be used to sterilise also?
I thought it was only a cleaner.

vlbaby.
[post="65326"][/post]​
Its original function was to get the crap off nappies and make them safe to use again. Its a sanitiser all right. If it can kill the bugs in a load of baby poo it can kill the bugs in a fermenter...

Cheers
Dave
 

chiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
27/4/04
Messages
619
Reaction score
18
Airgead said:
vlbaby said:
Is napisan ok as just a cleaner? or can it be used to sterilise also?
I thought it was only a cleaner.

vlbaby.
[post="65326"][/post]​
Its original function was to get the crap off nappies and make them safe to use again. Its a sanitiser all right. If it can kill the bugs in a load of baby poo it can kill the bugs in a fermenter...

Cheers
Dave
[post="65360"][/post]​
Although Sodium Percarbonate will certainly make a nappy safe for a tender bum it is not the ideal sanitiser for homebrewing.

It is next to the ideal cleaner though.

It is a very strong alkali so must be rinsed with tap water or whatever method you choose before it is acceptable to add your wort to.

I have measured a very high pH of a SP solution used to clean a fermenter at around 11+ whereas out of the kettle the wort you have made is around 5.2 - 5.5. Any residual SP will have a minor affect if not rinsed properly. And there in lies the problem as you then defeat the real sanitation you had prior to rinsing with tap water.

I fill a fermenter with a cap full of SP [BiLo brand] and 30 litres of water and let it stand for 2 - 4 hours. I drain that -- rinse -- and then use a phosphoric based sanitiser that is no rinse. The residual sanitiser is perhaps 20 - 40 ml or less, and has no detrimental affect on the wort.

By all means use Sodium Percarbonate as a cleaner [it is in my opinion the best -- other than hot caustic -- which is too dangerous for home use] but in a brewing situation there are other bugs other than baby shit to consider.

Then sanitise with a true brewing sanitiser.

Steve
 

sosman

beerling
Joined
16/2/04
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
4
Why would you buy napisan when you can buy 100% sodium percarbonate (except for the fact that you might need to buy 25 kg)?

It's a bargain considering the missus uses more of it than me so it goes on the household budget and doesn't cut into my brewing bugdet.

From memory, napisan is only around 25-33% sodium percarbonate so you are paying big bucks for it that way. Also it contains perfumes and other stuff which the "real thing" doesn't.
 

Tim

Retro Ghetto Meister
Joined
7/1/05
Messages
548
Reaction score
7
I use a laboratory cleaner called 'pyroneg' for cleaning. It is 98% alkaline salts and works a treat. Apparently it is used for steralising surgical equiptment, but i always give a good rinse and then sanitise with iodophor.
 

Ross

CraftBrewer
Joined
14/1/05
Messages
9,262
Reaction score
370
sosman said:
Why would you buy napisan when you can buy 100% sodium percarbonate (except for the fact that you might need to buy 25 kg)?

It's a bargain considering the missus uses more of it than me so it goes on the household budget and doesn't cut into my brewing bugdet.

From memory, napisan is only around 25-33% sodium percarbonate so you are paying big bucks for it that way. Also it contains perfumes and other stuff which the "real thing" doesn't.
[post="65409"][/post]​
Where do you get from sosman - chemist or??
 

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Joined
8/8/03
Messages
12,728
Reaction score
1,415
Ross said:
sosman said:
Why would you buy napisan when you can buy 100% sodium percarbonate (except for the fact that you might need to buy 25 kg)?

It's a bargain considering the missus uses more of it than me so it goes on the household budget and doesn't cut into my brewing bugdet.

From memory, napisan is only around 25-33% sodium percarbonate so you are paying big bucks for it that way. Also it contains perfumes and other stuff which the "real thing" doesn't.
[post="65409"][/post]​
Where do you get from sosman - chemist or??
[post="65419"][/post]​

I feel yet another Queenslander brewers bulk purchase here :huh:

Batz
 

Hoops

Well-Known Member
Joined
30/11/03
Messages
1,289
Reaction score
2
May already have a supplier lined up so wait out on that one QLDers
 

jgriffin

No Longer Brewin!
Joined
16/5/04
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
I ofund a supplier in Brisbane - $99 for 25kg. Just haven't had a chance to go get it due to it being tax time. I think Oz found it slightly cheaper elsewhere.
 

Ross

CraftBrewer
Joined
14/1/05
Messages
9,262
Reaction score
370
Include me in on any bulk purchase...
 

ozbrewer

im ozzing flab
Joined
11/4/05
Messages
624
Reaction score
0
yeah oz can get it for just under $4 per kg, ill be ordering 20kg this week, so anyone wants some let me know, you can work out your own postage via the aust post website, my PC is 4508, or it can be picked up from my shop
 

jgriffin

No Longer Brewin!
Joined
16/5/04
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Where's the shop? Also, i was struggling with ideas for containers. Does anyone have any bright ideas?
 

Brizbrew

Well-Known Member
Joined
10/6/05
Messages
261
Reaction score
1
Being a relative newbie to HB I use plain unscented homebrand bleach leave things soak for a while, sometimes a while longer if I forget :rolleyes: and thoroughly rinse with a hose with one of those jet attachments on the end, does the trick.
I am pretty sure it was John Palmer who advocated the use of el cheapo bleach in his online book, may be wrong though.
 

ozbrewer

im ozzing flab
Joined
11/4/05
Messages
624
Reaction score
0
jgriffin said:
Where's the shop? Also, i was struggling with ideas for containers. Does anyone have any bright ideas?
[post="65433"][/post]​

Ever thought of old nappysan containers




the shop is in deception bay
 

Ross

CraftBrewer
Joined
14/1/05
Messages
9,262
Reaction score
370
ozbrewer said:
the shop is in deception bay
[post="65440"][/post]​
Oz, what size bags you want to sell? Whats the name & address of the shop?

Cheers Ross
 

Latest posts

Top