Sodium Met Dosage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattzilla

Reaction score
Hi i bought some sodium met to sterilize my gear and just want to check the dosage before use

the packet says to use 10g per litre of water... is that right??

my laundry sink is 40ltrs so i would have to use 400g of sodium met right?

that seems like a lot and would not make it a cost effective sterilizer.

i have been using iodophor previously which is cheap and easy...

thanks

Sodium met isn't that cost effective - starsan or iodphor are better sanitisers and more cost effective. However you don't need to make up the whole laundry sink with any of them - just coat all surfaces.

With sodium met, coat the surfaces with the solution and allow to dry and stand for 30-60 mins as the fumes do the sanitising. Not great for asmathics, needs to be rinsed. Iodophor and starsan are both no rinse in the right proportions.

lady at the home brew shop said no need to rinse sodium met.....

so am i right in saying that i can just dunk my bottles in a small bucket so that all surfaces are covered and then air dry? do they need to sit in the solution??

thanks

lady at the home brew shop said no need to rinse sodium met.....

so am i right in saying that i can just dunk my bottles in a small bucket so that all surfaces are covered and then air dry? do they need to sit in the solution??

thanks

Tip a small amount of sodium metabisulphite solution in each bottle (made up as directed, maybe 30mL per bottle), put a lid on loosely, shake, leave for a 10 mins and then drain. No need to sanitise the outside of a bottle.

There is no reason why you need to rinse them nor any reason why they need to be completely dry.

A friendly warning though, don't stick your head over the bucket whilst mixing the sodium metabisulphite and water, it is not pleasant and is quite bad for asthmatics as manticle pointed out.

When I tried using sodium met as a no rinse in my bottles (when I first started brewing) I found a distinct flavour in the finished product that I didn't like. I know some people use it as a no-rinse but my experience with it was negative.

Long time ago so I couldn't decribe the flavour but it went away once I started rinsing.

i'm an asthmatic!!!!

hmmm might just keep it as back up and buy some more iodophor..... no probs with that so far

thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back