Soda Water?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjhansford

Reaction score
If Soda Water is just carbonated water can I gas up a keg of water and have one of my beer taps dispensing soda water?

Has anyone done this? How long does it take ... what pressure etc? Will a standard Perlick or Micromatic tap do the job?

Now before I get flamed for dedicating one of my beer taps to Soda Water let me 'justify' by explaining that a couple of our regular Friday Night patrons are on a bit of a cleansing diet for about 10 weeks and they've been bring their own bottle of commercial soda water. I's like to 'suprise' them with water in tap.

:icon_cheers: (with soda) ghhb

Fill keg with water. Add gas. Pour from tap into glass. Drink.

I (and many others on here) have a keg of soda water on tap all the time. It's good stuff, especially with cordial.

I just hook it up to the gas and leave it at serving pressure these days and it takes about a week to carb up. In the past I used to haul the keg out of the freezer and use the Ross method. The tap I use is the same micromatic as all the beer taps.

I (and many others on here) have a keg of soda water on tap all the time. It's good stuff, especially with cordial.

I just hook it up to the gas and leave it at serving pressure these days and it takes about a week to carb up. In the past I used to haul the keg out of the freezer and use the Ross method. The tap I use is the same micromatic as all the beer taps.

Thanks ...

I have no idea why I didn't think of it before?

I found this on good ol' wikipedia:

Commercial soda water in siphons is made by chilling filtered plain water to 8 degrees Celsius, adding a sodium or potassium based alkaline compound such as sodium bicarbonate to reduce acidity, and then pressurising the water with carbon dioxide, known as Carbonation. The gas dissolves in the water, and a top-off fill of carbon dioxide is added to finally pressurise the siphon to approximately 120 psi (pounds per square inch), some 30 or 40 psi higher than is present in fermenting champagne bottles.

In most modern restaurants and drinking establishments soda water is often manufactured on-site using devices known as carbonators. Carbonators utilise filtered water and pressurise it to approximately 100 psi using mechanical pumps. The pressurized water is stored in stainless steel vessels and CO2 is injected into the water producing carbonated water.

Toowomba's tap water's not the best ... and even though I have a whole of house filter system I'd like to make my soda water a bit 'special'. Does anyone have a 'recipe' for adding mineral salts to say RO water to make it taste nice?

Toowomba's tap water's not the best ... and even though I have a whole of house filter system I'd like to make my soda water a bit 'special'. Does anyone have a 'recipe' for adding mineral salts to say RO water to make it taste nice?

If you take a look at the label of very expensive, imported mineral water there is a panel with a mineral breakdown. If you took those figures and put them in as the target in the promash water calculator...

Just take a drive out Herries St to where some very famous spring water is bottled and fill up a container from their tap :lol:

I fill a keg (leaving about 50mm below the gas in dip tube to allow good compressed gas volume) with Gympie town water which has a fairly high sodium content (30ppm) and hit it with 300KPA. Every time I am near the keg fridge I give it another hit at 300. After a couple of days it is sitting at around 120Kpa so I give it another burst of 300Kpa and decant off a few 1.5L bottles and pop them into the fridge. Bottles are filled until the gas level has dropped off then the keg is topped up (usually around 10L required) again and regassed. Having some carbonated water in the keg reduces the time it takes to bring the keg up in absorbed gas pressure again.

Cheers,

Screwy

If you take a look at the label of very expensive, imported mineral water there is a panel with a mineral breakdown. If you took those figures and put them in as the target in the promash water calculator...

best of all, chalk dissolves when you add CO2 to it due to the carbonic acid! Almost any posh mineral water at your fingertips!

What pressure do you pour at?

I would have thought you would need at least 140kPa (20psi), probably a lot more as its quite highly carbonated. Far more so than beer.

I put only about 15 litre of water in the keg and force carbonate at 400kpa for a couple of minutes then leave it disconnected from the gas manifold. It is necessary to top up the gas when (a) the dispense pressure has dropped below what you desire and (b) if you would like more gas in your water. Once the water has reached the desired level of carbonation and the dispense pressure has dropped to an approximation of that in your manifold, you can just hook up and let it run as normal. Once the water has been saturated with CO2, it seems to retain the gas pretty well, regardless of the head pressure.

edit; That smiley thing wont go away. Its supposed to be a "b"
PoMo edit: fixed that for you.

What pressure do you pour at?

I would have thought you would need at least 140kPa (20psi), probably a lot more as its quite highly carbonated. Far more so than beer.
I run my beer and soda both at 100kPa @ 5C. I have Celli rip off taps on my eBay kegorator so can control the beer flow if necessary.

You guys have been great ... working on the minerals tonight ... should havea keg ready to go for Friday. I love this forum. Thanks.

And with 150 posts I've just earned my 6th keg! Yee har!!

...then add some sodastream tonic water syrup and a couple bottles of gin.... :beerbang:

...then add some sodastream tonic water syrup and a couple bottles of gin.... :beerbang:

Soda stream don't make the tonic any more. Discontinued. Along with the dry ginger.

^ WTF? really? thats balls

No.. I told a lie.. just checked their website and its back!

Was completely unavailable and disappeared from the site for about a year but its back now.

Cool.

I've got a keg of lemonade on, at the moment, just water, a bottle of Sodastream concentrate and a few cheap diet lemonade PETs from Woolies to make up the volume. Very refreshing, but it's taking ages to carb up as opposed to the beer in the other two kegs. Strange because they were all kegged on the same day. I'll try the rocking method next time.

I've still got a 1 litre bottle of Bombay Saphire from my last trip OS ... mmmm ... I can see one big 19 litre keg of G&T coming up!

Ohhh, sodastream do a tonic concentrate????

So going to K-mart tomorrow.....That said to make an 18L keg of G+T at the normal mixing rate of 30ml nip to a 7oz (210ml) glass it would take 75 nips of gin, which equates to 3 * 750ml bottles.........

Haven't had gin for ages, ah yes the good old days :icon_drunk:

hogarth_gin_lane_sm.jpg

Ohhh, sodastream do a tonic concentrate????

So going to K-mart tomorrow.....That said to make an 18L keg of G+T at the normal mixing rate of 30ml nip to a 7oz (210ml) glass it would take 75 nips of gin, which equates to 3 * 750ml bottles.........

Okay ... maybe not 19 liters ... I think I'd get sick of that! :icon_drunk:

Anyway ... who really wants a keg of alcopops ... let's be MEN and go back to mixing it in the glass ... do I hear "shaken ... not stirred!"

JB.jpg

Latest posts

Back