Soda Stream Cylinder Types

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefty2446

Reaction score
Ok my Wife just went to the shops to exchange my 40L soda stream cylinder and was told that they don't use those ones anymore.

I know they phased out the steel ones in favour of the aluminium ones but are there now 2 types of aluminium ones (Old and new)

I realise there are 100L and 40L versions of the aluminium ones but is there a newer type aluminium one?

Can anyone confirm this?

Adrian

Perhaps the Sodastream website can provide the info you're after?

Been there, It has 2 types (40L and 100L) Mine is aluminium and marked as 40L the same as the website but is shorter than the current ones and has an extra brass fitting screwed onto the end (presumably to make it longer) the thread/end under the fitting is _exactly_ the same as the end of the fitting making me think it's just a length extension.

Wife was told they no longer accept these cylinders for exchange. :-(

Edit: Added photo's
18052009332_1_.jpg
18052009334.jpg
18052009336.jpg

You say they are shorter, how much so. The ones I have are 36cm from base to the top of the brass fitting.
The aluminium bottles I have, and have been successfully swapping recently, look similar to yours, same graphics on teh albel and all. However, the noticable difference is the neck of the bottle. Yours seems to taper down quite quicky, mine is a more gradual taper and pretty much like the ones on the website. That said, I didn't think the bottle length practically mattered beyond having enough of teh bottle to get a good hold of - the old steel ones were really bad in that regard if used in the newer machines - but who would even think of using the soda stream for its intended purpose!

I've found a really mixed bag of responses when trying to get swaps in Canberra. Apart from never having stock, Kmart will not touch anything other than one type, the new aluminium ones. However, other retailers will still happily swap the old steel bottles, although I haven't put that to the test for a few months now and I still have a few that I may have to exchange. Might be worth trying a different store, or just trying again on a different day and hopefully get a different member of staff?

You say they are shorter, how much so. The ones I have are 36cm from base to the top of the brass fitting.

How accurate was you measurement :) Mine is 35.3cm with the brass adaptor and 33.3cm without it.

Going to have to get my Wife to try again at another store, Also noticed in a cattledog that you can buy the whole machine, cylinder included for $40 these days.

Adrian

How accurate was you measurement :) Mine is 35.3cm with the brass adaptor and 33.3cm without it.

Going to have to get my Wife to try again at another store, Also noticed in a cattledog that you can buy the whole machine, cylinder included for $40 these days.

Adrian
I swapped 3 Old Cylinders For New ones at BIG W...i am told they are the only one
who will swap the old for new...(In my area )??/
PJ

They recently changed the aluminium cylinders from 330gms down to 312gms but still put 40L on the label. Bit of a misrepresentation, since that 40L would be less carbonated. The new cylinders have been a PITA for authorised refilling stations too.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=28516

OK, now I understand where the difference comes from. And for all my searching didn't pull up that previous topic :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway.

Adrian

Couldn't find any replies stating whether the new ones (with the shorter thread and wider brass fitting) work with current adapters so thought I would let everyone know that I swapped it over yesterday and it works fine with the adpater.

I'm using one of the adapters with a tap on it from Ross and the new bottle fit in and sealed without a problem.

As a side note the K-Mart I went to advised me that they shouldn't swap them as they are only allowed to swap the same type of bottle but "her boss" said it was ok as they fitted exactly the same. :)

Kmart Broadway (Syd) has not had any sodastream refills for about 3 weeks. Anyone else swapped in the last week in Syd and whereabouts ?

cheers

Latest posts

Back