• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Soda Stream Connection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bardcan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've spent the past few days reading through a lot of these forums, but I still can't find an answer to my problem, so I hope I'm not covering old ground here.

Basically, I bought an old soda stream with the old style tank with it and was hoping I could hook it up to the large cga320 CO2 tank which I have (long story). I followed the link on this forum to buy an adapter for the little tank, but it just leaves me another male cga320 thread at the end... so now I've got two male threads and no way to connect the two.
As far as I understand it, a regulator is not necessary for this job, so why is it near to impossible to find a simple cga320 male to male adapter online?

Thanks for your help,
Baz

Are you wanting to refill your sodastream cylinder with the larger one,then you will need a co2 paintball cylinder filler they do the job quite well.

Franko

Are you wanting to refill your sodastream cylinder with the larger one,then you will need a co2 paintball cylinder filler they do the job quite well.

Franko

Thanks. So it's not possible to just get something that connects the two cga320 threads together? or does a paintball adapter do that?

What you are after is this Ebay link it is what I use to refill my sodastream bottles but caution you are dealing with very high pressure

Champion! Thanks, really. I've spent the past week online and visiting plumbing / hardware stores with no luck. It's become a mission :)

Bought one already.

Cheers

What you are after is this Ebay link it is what I use to refill my sodastream bottles but caution you are dealing with very high pressure

So with the fitting I can fill a sodastream bottle from my 6.8kg mykegsonlegs bottle??

I will post some pics this weekend guys when I refill a few bottles with links

Franko

Surely you want to do this with scales, else you could overpressure your SS cylinder resulting in quite a dangerous explosion... I imagine the SS cylinders dont hold anywhere near the pressure as a proper cylinder, so you couldn't just open the valve and wait for the pressure to balance out.

Surely you want to do this with scales, else you could overpressure your SS cylinder resulting in quite a dangerous explosion... I imagine the SS cylinders dont hold anywhere near the pressure as a proper cylinder, so you couldn't just open the valve and wait for the pressure to balance out.

On the Ebay link it mentions it has some feature stopping you from being able to over-fill.

I really hope this looks easy, because I would love to be able to just keep my big bottle in the garage and use a soda stream for dispensing. Would be so much easier as I could keg / filter in the garage and then force carb without having to try and prop my bar's lid open which has a heavy font on it etc.

Not to mention refilling for genuine party keg use.

It would make my brewing life that much easier.

I agree. Keep the big cylinder attached to my fridge and then use ss bottles for my party keg setup. That will save a mottza. No more 13-15$ swap overs. Or expensive co2 cartridges.

How do they work? Where are there three connections?

The black connector fits on the soad stream bottle, and has a screw tap on the top to engage the valve pin in the bottle.

The regulator end piece (on the left side of the picture) generally won't fit an Australian bottle, so you may need to change the nut and stem over (easy to do - about $30 piece from BOC or similar).

The valve closest to the stem shuts off the tank, the second valve is the safety vent.

The trickiest thing to remember here is that you need to fill your SS bottles with LIQUID, not gas. For most of us that means you need to invert your large cylinder, since the gas pickup tube in serving gas bottles is similar to the gas post on your corny keg (i.e. quite short) and therefore will only pick-up the vaporized CO2. Inverting it gives that tube access to the liquid you need.

I've got one of these (or at least quite similar), but haven't used it yet - I have a healthy respect for anything that's potentially dangerous, gas under high pressure is about the only thing I'm genuinely worried about!

Andy

Hmm I suppose if that's the case it makes fire extinguishers more attractive as they'd be able to be used the right way up without modification.

Big fire extinguisher which you use to refill soda streams.

Could even use a soda stream for force carbing, why not.

On the Ebay link it mentions it has some feature stopping you from being able to over-fill.

I really hope this looks easy, because I would love to be able to just keep my big bottle in the garage and use a soda stream for dispensing. Would be so much easier as I could keg / filter in the garage and then force carb without having to try and prop my bar's lid open which has a heavy font on it etc.

Not to mention refilling for genuine party keg use.

It would make my brewing life that much easier.

I think what it means is it has a quick release valves to make it easy for you to bleed out gas in case you overfill. There are many single valve fillers that just rely on you not going over at all. under's post highlights the filling process, and it involves inverting your gas cylinder. With scales it's hard to go wrong, fill a bit and weight your cylinder periodically. You might even get away with taring the scales with the empty cylinder on it and just watching the weight increase as you transfer co2 across. this is certainly relevant to my interests, I dont have my main co2 in the garage, and using sodastreams to purge kegs and push sanitiser though them etc gets expensive very quickly.

saw big barra fill a soda stream bottle from a big one at a vic xmas swap once. scariest shit ive witnsed, no way i would be trying it myself. mind you barra is a mad man at best, drives his car thats towing his boat off cliffs and stuff.

Just reviving this thread, I did use the google function, and have done quite a bit of research before posting, but being new here, bear with me.

So the process of filling a sodastream bottle (old style I'm guessing) is identical to a paintball CO2 cylinder right? As the standard 6kg cylinders don't have the "dip tube" going to the bottom of the cylinder to where the CO2 liquid dwells, you have to invert your cylinder; then do all as per the online guides. Two tap is best to burp your small cylinder, make it cold, then weigh it 'dry' - fill slowly to the max fill weight. et voila?

So - some detailed questions about connectors. I guess a tangent on this is - are the paintball co2 > regulator adapters you can buy in the US the same as the current sodastream adapter I can buy locally? (guessing no but..)
If not, does anyone know if the paintball co2 > regulator adapters will work with Aussie approved regulators? (ie - are all regulators the same thread type regardless of if they've been through local Aust Std's approvals etc etc)

I can get Australian std CO2 fill station adapters, so they should fit Aussie CO2 cylinders (large), and I can source fairly inexpensive 20oz paintball bottles. All I need to verify is if the adapter I get so whats the barrier here?

Also - the current sodastream bottles - can you refill those?

Cheers!

Im really interested in doing this aswell...

From research i have done, my understanding is that you can not refill new 'alcojet' cylinders, you need one of the older style cylinders with a bleed valve in them.

I would love to see some pics from Franko on how to do it!

Back