Soda Stream Concentrates In Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
I went to kmart today and bought a cola flavoured soft drink concentrate. It makes 12L which is pretty good for $4. Anyway i put it in my keg and turned on the gas and it hit me.... What the hell do i gas it up to. Its not beer so im dumfounded.... ATM its on 30 psi but im still confused on what to do. Has anyone used this stuff before? If so how much gas do i use and for how long.

Scotty

I have done some cola in a keg before and from memory it needs a lot more gas. The problem then is that your system will be unbalanced - the cola will come out too quick - which will cause the cola to loose abit of it's carbonation.

I just used trial and error till I got it right, but that was a few years ago now.

Hoops

Ok i worked it out, Carbonate at 30psi for 24 hours. Then 10psi to dispense. Too easy

Scotty

Would this work out roughly the same for fruit juices as well do you think?
I'm going to buy 12 litres or so for the kids next time there's a sale on.

Not sure on fruit juices, but cordials such as Cottees Coola work well. Just be sure to make it up so that the water/cordial ratio is right, gas up & Enjoy.

We had an 18L keg on tap for the kiddies birthday party & they drunk it dry :) I think they had more fun pouring than drinking.

Bet the kids had a ball.

I hope you didn't have a pluto gun, the kids would have been having coola showers.

An experiment to try one day, is to gas up a keg of plain water. The difference in flavours between the carbonated and uncarbonated water is huge.

The carbonated water has carbonic acd in it.

It is a great lesson that carbonation levels contributes alot to the balance of the beer.

Thanks for the info there Pint of Lager, will give it a try. I didn't realise that Co2 changes/adds to the flavour profile...I guess that's why lager tastes better at higher levels of carbonation compared to ales.

Unfortunately, we were using a Pluto gun for the day, but we had about 40 kids onsite for our first ever party....never again LOL

We just stuck the cornelius keg in a large garbo full of ice and dispensed with a low pressure.

Soad stream is good when it's on special, but if you can get a good cordial cheap, I think that the idea is great.

I make the keg of soda water and just add the concentrate in the glass, then squirt the soda water in.

Just as if you were making a glass of still cordial.
I save heaps on cola.

Back