Soda Stream Adaptors - Differences

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderlips

Reaction score
]A friend of mine bought a soda stream adaptor from ESB recently and it's quite different to the one I bought from Hoops the other week. Anyway, problem is we can't seem to figure it out.
For those who haven't seen it before I took a couple of pics...
The first two are the ESB adaptor and the last is from Hoops. You'll notice the ESB has no little pointy bit and is flat instead. After attaching it to a regulator and fixing the soda stream bottle it just doesn't want to do anything.
Any ideas?
ESB_sodastream_1.jpg
ESB_sodastream_2.jpg
Hoops.jpg

You will probably need to try using a thinner nylon washer - those yellow ones are quite thick and may not be allowing the nipple to make contact with the SS pin.

You will probably need to try using a thinner nylon washer - those yellow ones are quite thick and may not be allowing the nipple to make contact with the SS pin.

That did cross my mind but I wasn't sure if it needed to be there like that for whatever reason. Thanks.

I Gather from this you mean the ESB one doesn't work... If thats the case, maybe the pin in the end of the SS bottle is fitting into the hole in the adapter therefore sealing it.

beertime - that shouldn't happen, the hole in the adaptor is off-centre for that very reason. It's more likely that the adaptor was intended for use with a thinner washer.

FWIW, my SS adaptor looks similar to Thunderlips' but is designed for one of the yellow neoprene keg post washers - I suspect my nipple is bigger (so to speak). The great thing is that it seals by just doing it up hand tight, whereas a thinner washer will probably need some spanner torque to create a seal.

Thunderlips

Hope the problem is not with the adaptor you got from me?
From the photos it looks like the washer is too thick as the brass piece needs to stick out a bit or it won't depress the SS bottle valve.
I would maybe try a fibre washer or check out your local HB store or CIG/BOC etc to see if they have a different washer that might be suitable.

Did the ESB one come with the washer?
Are they made to fit the new bottles?
Maybe try remove the washer and make sure the adaptor pushes the pin of the bottle in without a washer (careful though as it will loose gas real quick if you're not careful).
and what happened to the little threaded screw? looks a bit bent up?

Hoops

Wortgames said:
I suspect my nipple is bigger
[post="54140"][/post]​
Didn't realise it was a competition WG :lol: :lol:

Hope the problem is not with the adaptor you got from me?

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly. Yours works fine, the ESB adaptor is the one with the problem.

Did the ESB one come with the washer?
Are they made to fit the new bottles?

Yes it came with the yellow washer fitted like that and I noticed at the ESB website it mentions that they work with both old and new bottles.

and what happened to the little threaded screw? looks a bit bent up?

Was hoping you wouldn't notice that :)
I tried fitting it without a washer and couldn't get a good seal. So I probably tightened it a bit too much. I still don't have a washer but the teflon tape seems to work ok for the moment.

Hmm, if the adaptor came with the washer then something's not right! I would give them a call or email them to see what's going on.

If you want I can send you another screw for the adaptor if it's stuffed?

Hoops

Thunderlips said:
]A friend of mine bought a soda stream adaptor from ESB recently and it's quite different to the one I bought from Hoops the other week. Anyway, problem is we can't seem to figure it out.
For those who haven't seen it before I took a couple of pics...
The first two are the ESB adaptor and the last is from Hoops. You'll notice the ESB has no little pointy bit and is flat instead. After attaching it to a regulator and fixing the soda stream bottle it just doesn't want to do anything.
Any ideas?
[post="54132"][/post]​

What soda stream bottle are you using? an old steel one or a new ali one. I have an adaptor from Ultimate Air in Perth which looks suspiciously like the ESB one. It only works with a new ali cylinder as the old steel cyclinder has a valve where the pin sits about 1.5mm lower. This is enough to satop it from depressing it when you assemble it. This adaptor needs to be tightened with a spanner even on the new bottles.

What soda stream bottle are you using? an old steel one or a new ali one.

The new ali bottles, direct from http://www.sodastream.com.au/retail/Home.asp.
I don't have a machine so bought a couple and will just exchange them at K-Mart.

This adaptor needs to be tightened with a spanner even on the new bottles

It's got me stumped. Even after removing the yellow washer it's as if the pin is still not reaching and it's as tight as I can get it.

I was just looking at the link thunderlips posted here , and I saw the 100 litre CO2 bottles there. Are these useful? Do the fit the same thread as the standard 40 litre ones?

I was just reading the T&C, and you can do everything via post, which makes it good for people who live remotely. The cost is $40 for the cylinder, then $27.50 for refills. So that makes it the exact same price as the smaller 40 litre ones for gas, 2.75cents/gram.

Has anyone used one of these?

Thinderlips - it sounds like you need to return it if it's new, it could be a machining error. If it's been used, try to find out how! If you're stuck with it you might need to screw or glue something to the centre to get the pin. Maybe you could solder a small ball bearing there?

Barfridge - the fittings would be the same, as the cylinders are interchangeable. To make the 100 litre cylinders viable you'd need to have 2 of them. You need to order over $50 worth of refill at a time, otherwise you're paying $9 postage. If you had 2 x 100 litre cylinders you could order 2 refills at the same time for $55 (they send you a post paid box to return your empties). If you have access to a K-Mart I think your money is probably better spent on a couple of 40 litre cylinders that you can just exchange when you want.

Hoops said:
If you want I can send you another screw for the adaptor if it's stuffed?
Hoops
[post="54173"][/post]​

Hoops,
Sorry to drift O/T for a moment, but do you still take orders for SS adaptors? I'm thinking of getting into this in the near future.

Thunderlips - thanks for posting that URL - the Manuka Newsagency has suddenly become important to me for brew gear!! :p

Cheers,
TL

Certainly do, should have some ready this week.
Will let you know

Hoops

Barfridge - the fittings would be the same, as the cylinders are interchangeable. To make the 100 litre cylinders viable you'd need to have 2 of them. You need to order over $50 worth of refill at a time, otherwise you're paying $9 postage.

I was close to ordering the 100L cylinder but wasn't sure if the likes of K-mart etc carry replacements . Anyone know?

Thunderlips - thanks for posting that URL - the Manuka Newsagency has suddenly become important to me for brew gear!! :p

Hey, it's probably the first time I've helped anyone here :)

Back