Soccer World Cup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalbarluke

Reaction score
The draw for the World Cup is complete so I don't think it's too early to start a thread. Australia has been drawn into probably the toughest group. No chance of making through the first round. Should still be a great tournament.

kalbarluke said:
The draw for the World Cup is complete so I don't think it's too early to start a thread. Australia has been drawn into probably the toughest group. No chance of making through the first round. Should still be a great tournament.
Stealing a point would be a good result for the Roo's on paper, not much more can be expected of them, that was a horrible draw for us.

I just hope the media don't shit on the team for not making it out of the group, England wouldn't make it to the knock out stages in that group.

Considering how many years we couldn't even make the final at all, we should be pretty stoked with where we are now. Not that we should rest on laurels but football/soccer has come a long way in this country.

Considering how many years we couldn't even make the final at all, we should be pretty stoked with where we are now. Not that we should rest on laurels but football/soccer has come a long way in this country.

Definitely, it is massive just being there, I was hoping for a more favourable draw so we could see the hype of '06 again, making the knockouts back then did a lot for the game in Australia.

I'm dreading next year due to the media up here, being so thugby centric they expect Australia to win world cups. The team is going to be crucified in the papers when just being there is more than a lit of countries can achieve.

General media criticism of sportspeople is usually pretty low in my opinion - at least when in regard to sporting prowess/performance as opposed to other (match fixing, rape accusations, drunken behaviour, drug cheating, etc)

Different when it's an expert opinion like Les Murray or Craig Foster but most media commentators wouldn't know the difference between a direct and an indirect.
**** 'em. I'm proud of the team and I'll barrack every step of the way for them. If/when they get knocked out I'll enjoy watching the rest because it is a great game.

Lets just hope other countries dont kick up a stink when we start winning. Soccer is full of bad loosers.

Including aussies crying foul when things don't go our way. Sport is full of bad losers.

Back