Soapy Beer? - Turf It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel80

Reaction score
Hi All,

just tried my 6th BIAB out of the fermenter.
Brewed this one with London ESB 1968 wyeast yeast.

It started at 1.042
Currently at 1.010 after 12 days at 19-20degrees.

5 days ago i tasted it at 1.013 and it was spicy/citrus tasting with good flavour and ester profile. (target and fuggles hops i think).

Today, all that awesomeness seems to have disappeared. The beer is very light coloured (lighter than i remember actually) and now has a weak flavour and slippery / soapy feel to it.

I reckon its infected, but if it was i would have expected off smells / taste.

Anyone had this happen before with this yeast? Wondering if it may be a characteristic of the yeast before i get carried away throwing 23L onto the plastic lawn.
Cheers,
D80

Hi All,

just tried my 6th BIAB out of the fermenter.
Brewed this one with London ESB 1968 wyeast yeast.

It started at 1.042
Currently at 1.010 after 12 days at 19-20degrees.

5 days ago i tasted it at 1.013 and it was spicy/citrus tasting with good flavour and ester profile. (target and fuggles hops i think).

Today, all that awesomeness seems to have disappeared. The beer is very light coloured (lighter than i remember actually) and now has a weak flavour and slippery / soapy feel to it.

I reckon its infected, but if it was i would have expected off smells / taste.

Anyone had this happen before with this yeast? Wondering if it may be a characteristic of the yeast before i get carried away throwing 23L onto the plastic lawn.
Cheers,
D80

Happenned to me Diesel and I stuck with it, bottled it and had a taster a week later and it was crap same slippery feel. Tried it at 4wks and it was a great beer. Great mouthfeel and flavour. Don't toss it mate.

i wouldnt toss it, no way,
i have had a few brews that i thought were infected,they tasted fine after a week in a keg then for some reason after a few more days tasted crap.

i posted on here asking the same questions ,i think its infected, some said toss it ,others said leave it for a week or so and try it again'

after a couple of weeks i tasted it and i was really surprised at how it had changed again, both times they turned out nice brews.
dont toss them .

fergi

I have had same thing with 1968, tasted good out of fermenter at bottling time, after a few weeks in the bottles i got the soapy taste, seemed to go away after a couple of months.
Had the same thing the three times i used it, maybe better force carb kegging?

So far it is my least favorite English yeast strain.

Right,

well i will leave it in fermenter until next sunday night when i get back from boys trip. Then CC it and keg about 3 days later.

hopefully the yeast can sort the brew out for me.

Cheers,
D80

I never toss a beer until it's kegged and I've tasted it a few times. I had a "sour mash" that I boiled after staying in the mash tun for a day and a half and it turned out ok, after about 2-3 months it was brilliant.

The diarrhoea when I was tasting gravity samples sucked though. haha :(

i had a slightly soapy beer. wasnt until i poured another beer through the line that i realised it was my keg that needed a clean. i still drank the whole keg cause it wasnt too bad but it wasnt my best.
so it might be your beer or it might be your keg. leave it for a while and see if it clears up or whetehr you can live with drinking it

edit: just realised you said out of the fermentor. definietely dont chuck it unless its tastes awful or is a defnite infection

i had a slightly soapy beer. wasnt until i poured another beer through the line that i realised it was my keg that needed a clean. i still drank the whole keg cause it wasnt too bad but it wasnt my best.
so it might be your beer or it might be your keg. leave it for a while and see if it clears up or whetehr you can live with drinking it

edit: just realised you said out of the fermentor. definietely dont chuck it unless its tastes awful or is a defnite infection

Last night i gave it another test.

Gravity unchanged (good).
Flavour - improved (good).
Still feels slightly soapy but that could just be because it is 21 degree malt based liquid.

Flavour and hop character is pretty good so i am CC now, and will Keg sunday night when back from boys trip. May carb this one higher than normal. The increase in Fizz may lessen the impact of any flaws.

Could save it yet!

Cheers,
D80

Yeh mate I'd keep it. Doesn't take much effort to keg it and gas it up(maybe a dollars worth of gas) with the likelihood it will improve over time, whereas if you tip it you've wasted all that time and money. If it's still shit in a couple of weeks then throw it.

I am not a fan of 1968, the 1768 is the bomb, but would at least CC it before judging. IMHO I would not blame the 1968 for the soapy I would look more at your boil? Or transfer? My issue with 1968 is diacetyl but have not used it for well over 18 months and have improved my fermenting regime since last using it. Having said that I did pick up a 4th at Qabc using it a few years back but do prefer 1768.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back