So Wot's The Story Behind The Handles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fergie's just short for Ferguson. Fergie is normally already taken on forums so just add my first initial.

Not very exciting.

I Nearly have a fully set up kegging system. I Nearly have the beer to my taste. I Nearly finished the list of jobs the missus gave me. I Nearly got off my bum and finished the fence. I Nearly came up with a moniker. :rolleyes:

a shortened nickname
one of my old workmates called me 'Shamus McCracken the Third' instead of Shaun (my real name).
it stuck and everyone started calling me that. (i was happy ,ive been called worse)
over time it got shortened to crackers

Just a shortened surname. Why do we Australians have a fascination with shortening everything? I remember once an English friend being so impressed that even 'Vee Double U' (you know, the car) was too long for us Aussies so we called them 'dubs'. Long live our 'kulture'. :)

Nearly said:
I Nearly have a fully set up kegging system. I Nearly have the beer to my taste. I Nearly finished the list of jobs the missus gave me. I Nearly got off my bum and finished the fence. I Nearly came up with a moniker. :rolleyes:
And you nearly drank the bar dry at the NFOB :p

I was signing up for an account on another forum somewhere long long ago and just picked the name out of the air. I live in and was renovating a weird 1960's house that is postmodern in design and I'd put "PostModern Home Improvements" as the joke business name when installing Windows one night. I've used it ever since.

I've only been brewing for about 8 years - mainly kit and kilo, until I tripped over a tub of malt and a packet of hops and saw the light ;)

I was in the services and my mates had no probs helping me taste test all my brews :(

One night, I thought I'd make some room for a few new brews so I invited some mates over and we polished off about 30 bottles :blink: I got pretty socially unaware at the time and one of my mates kindly suggested that I was "flopping around like an untrained seal..." and "...he's pissed as a trough lolly!"

The last one kinda stuck! Gee aren't I lucky to have such good friends :p

If you haven't got it yet, check them out when you next look down into a urinal in the local pub!

Cheers,

TL :chug:

Me - just too damn lazy to be clever with a handle, plus most people just call me Trev anyway rather than Trevor.

I worked with Wasabi (Bradford) last year - now I know what he was doing hunched over his computer all day :D

nifty as in nifty nev (surname neville)

I've got a house full of women (as in wife and daughters) so, I built myself this 9m x 6m shed, that's where you'll find me most evenings and weekends.

Got my motorcycles, my own music, running water and all my brew setup in there. Even got a PC in there as well.

Hence the name shed!

Sounds like all you need is a fridge a tv and a toilet and you wouldn't need the house :)
Sounds awesome.
My shed is a bit smaller. I have a couple of fridges, running water, all my brew stuff, a radio/cd player etc.
Working on the TV, and the toilet (read secluded fence) is just round the back of it.

Beers,
Doc

My Handle has only been 18months old.

It all started when i started teaching homebrewing to some work mates. I was making some jokes about them being my apprentices/padawon's.....
so they repaid me with GMK...short for Grand Master Kenny.

Anyway, one of them found this site and told me about it.
So i logged on, become a member and used GMK - looks like it has now stuck.

Treat it with some TIC....

I recon Johnno's gotta take the cake so far,fancy some bloke calling him Johnno just because his name is John.wot next!

Unfortunately, mine is just my surname. Coz it's a pretty weird/funny name it's the easiest thing for everyone to call me.

Can't remember the last time a friend called me by my first name :)

i have one for you ken

o-b-1-ken-o-b.

Not bad Jayse - only snag is my name isn't Ken either. Although I do have a cousin called Ken - KenIdiot (just gaggin') ;)

I recon Johnno's gotta take the cake so far,fancy some bloke calling him Johnno just because his name is John.wot next!

I dunno fingers...I reckon the guy with the handle "nathan" might have it...thats pretty out there :blink:

Hmmmm.........
I know its not very creative but I'm probably just a bit lazy at times. B)

hehehehe "Shed" hehehe.........now that one I like.

I'm in the same boat as you Shed.
Just gonna have to wait a long time before I can get my own luxurious space like that.

Mine came about randomly...I was signing up and wondering what to put as a handle, misheard what a mate was saying to me in a conversation thought he was saying "famousguy" (can't remember what he was actually saying) and thought that would be a good one to use.

See total randomness.

:D

Latest posts

Back