So who is the Southern Cross Brewing Company?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had thier single hopped El Dorado White IPA on the weekend and it was pretty tastey. I had just assumed they where a contract brewery before that as id never seen there beers before, but then I dont get out much. That channel 31 craft beer series that was around awhile ago (cant remember the name) did an interview with them.

They supply rebranded beer by the sounds of it. Their recipe your label.

nosco said:
I had thier single hopped El Dorado White IPA on the weekend and it was pretty tastey. I had just assumed they where a contract brewery before that as id never seen there beers before, but then I dont get out much. That channel 31 craft beer series that was around awhile ago (cant remember the name) did an interview with them.
Thats Southern Bay Brewing. Different brewery

This blurb, ouch -

Looking to create a point of difference for your venue, pub, club or outlet and at the same time generate new sales and increase your profit margins? Southern Cross Brewing Co gives you the opportunity to create your own branded beers and ciders for your business. Our proposal is simple – provide access to volume driving products with a unique difference.

Priced to Build Your Bottom Line!

You’ve heard of house wine? White label is similar – we brew it and deliver to your venue and you then sell it to your customers uniquely branded for your business. So your pub, club or venue gets a great tasting product, branded uniquely for you to on-sell it at a highly competitive price.

Call me a cynic but when I hear "generate new sales and increase your profit margins", "priced to build your bottom line!" and "provide access to volume driving products" I die a little inside.

Wouldn't companies they're white labelling their beer and wine for need a license to sell alcohol? I'm not sure it would be quite as easy as sticking a label on it and then "building their bottom line".

Edit. Ok, pubs and clubs etc. are all good.

I don't like this.....when you buy house wine you are making a choice for the cheapest generic option. Re-branding white label beer may in fact imply the opposite, namely that you are purchasing an artisan product made in house.

TheWiggman said:
This blurb, ouch -

Looking to create a point of difference for your venue, pub, club or outlet and at the same time generate new sales and increase your profit margins? Southern Cross Brewing Co gives you the opportunity to create your own branded beers and ciders for your business. Our proposal is simple – provide access to volume driving products with a unique difference.

You’ve heard of house wine? White label is similar – we brew it and deliver to your venue and you then sell it to your customers uniquely branded for your business. So your pub, club or venue gets a great tasting product, branded uniquely for you to on-sell it at a highly competitive price.

Call me a cynic but when I hear "generate new sales and increase your profit margins", "priced to build your bottom line!" and "provide access to volume driving products" I die a little inside.
Pure marketing loaded ******* tripe. It may be a gateway for a few people, but the rest of us should just stick to our favourite and well known brands (**** the word 'brands' just makes my hate for marketing c*nts tingle...)

Edit: I also ******* hate censorship...

TheWiggman said:
This blurb, ouch -

I don't know.... I can see this from another position Wiggman.

What is happening here, I suspect, is a new brewer trying to generate a reputation, and some cash, to assist in growing their business. As Mardoo says, many new businesses start the same way, and apparently Lagunitas Brewing did too.

This new brewer is not spending millions of dollars on marketing campaigns and adding the cost of marketing awareness to your schooner. They are purely making beer at a competitive price, less many of the large marketing spends and corporate overheads, and passing the savings on to a publican. If the publican chooses to, they may pass on some of the savings to the punter. If he doesn't, and the drinker can't see the value, they won't buy the beer.

No problem with sticking with our old faourites, but an option every now and then keeps the old favourites honest WRT price and quality.

Just another angle. Anthony

From the look of it they are a contract brewery who's target are those pubs that want there own branded house beer to sell to hipsters

welly2 said:
Wouldn't companies they're white labelling their beer and wine for need a license to sell alcohol?
Edit. Ok, pubs and clubs etc. are all good.
Yes. At least a wholesale license that allows you to sell to Pubs/Bottleshops/Restaurants etc

The business model may be ok but the wording in the marketing beatup is, as CmdrRyekr pointed out, tripe. Insert any product in there (wine, soap, roasted almonds, flux capacitors) and the blurb can still suit. The product quality could be great or abysmal, but based on the textbook marketing rhetoric I would assume that the salesmanship is compensating for lack of quality. House wine is not known for its quality, so drawing that parallel doesn't imply the beer is any good. Maybe it is, but you could at least say it is instead of just saying it's cheap.
inb4 argument that popular beer isn't any good anyway

Yeah... but they target hipsters so who really cares...May as well be VB stubbies in brown bags for $6ea

I have met the people behind southern cross brewing.
They aren't owned by any big brewing companies as far as I can see. Pretty local as far as production goes.

I would be interested to see how they go. I think most blokes only drink beers that a marketing campaign has told
them they should drink so it represents a significant percentage of the cost. Small independents have to find new
ideas to sell their products due to small budgets. The problem here in NSW is we have the most out-of-date laws
in the country and so most new ideas come out of Victoria.

We have the 'white label' or 'Australia Lager' in a few of our local venues and I quite like it. Don't knock it 'til you have tried it. Nice to be able to go out and have a decent choice other than the standard mega swill.

Yeah Hate to say it, but the " Aussie Lager" I had at the local Friday was worse than my first feeble attempts. Diacetyl that I could still taste 3 beers later. It wasn't just; not quite right, it was outright awful, any beer drinker trying this as their first "craft beer" experience would never try another craft beer again.

MB

Back