So When's The New Beersmith Out?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy

Ahh Glasshopper
Reaction score
Just bought some Aurora, some 1882, BIAB equipment...

Just wondering!!

before christmas? Well thats shit :(

(P.S. Multi-platform FTW!!!)
Maybe Semi-Multi-Platform is more accurate.

He's targeting Win & Mac platforms, but there's quite a lot of homebrewers out there have switched over to linux.

Apparently, he's currently developing on the .NET stack, so in theory it should be portable via Mono. Would be nice to have a "native" version, cause I'm sick of not being able to do fundamental stuff like copy/paste and email running BeerSmith on WINE.

Maybe I should use my years of soft eng experience for good, rather than corporate evil, and volunteer to help on a Mono port. :unsure:

Edit: gran-ma

He's targeting Win & Mac platforms, but there's quite a lot of homebrewers out there have switched over to linux.

Apparently, he's currently developing on the .NET stack, so in theory it should be portable via Mono. Would be nice to have a "native" version, cause I'm sick of not being able to do fundamental stuff like copy/paste and email running BeerSmith on WINE.

Maybe I should use my years of soft eng experience for good, rather than corporate evil, and volunteer to help on a Mono port. :unsure:

Edit: gran-ma

or by contributing to an existing open source project like qbrew and freeing us from the evil that is closed source software

or by contributing to an existing open source project like qbrew and freeing us from the evil that is closed source software
I don't know that I would put Brad Smith's one-man development efforts, done outside of his real job, charging a whole 20 bucks, and bringing plenty of joy to home brewers the world over, under the generalised category of "evil ... closed source software".

Understand where you're coming from, but I think you're wrong to expect everything to be "free".

it's probably the only bit of software I've paid for (directly) partly/mostly for the above reason...

Ditto. Good value.

I don't know that I would put Brad Smith's one-man development efforts, done outside of his real job, charging a whole 20 bucks, and bringing plenty of joy to home brewers the world over, under the generalised category of "evil ... closed source software".

Understand where you're coming from, but I think you're wrong to expect everything to be "free".

you're right. i purposely exaggerated. the idea is still valid though. people on this forum share and collaborate on everything from recipes to building equipment, to purchasing ingredients. no reason why we couldn't do the same for the software we use to develop these recipes. if there was a decent open platform for beer brewing that was actively developed it would probably have more chance of keeping up with the ever changing ideas and methods that are discussed here

I know of a free open source multi platform recipe calculator.

That includes such features as:

No chill hop method adjustments

Shared recipe editing

... just added Can kits support in the last week.

Updates approximately monthly.

interesting discussion guys, be interesting to see if Brad support BeerXMLv2 & Percentage based recipe formulation!

:rolleyes: More than one platform = multi-platform. Not omni-platform, but that's still better than M$-only.

I've heard he's planning to do the native linux version eventually. I'll be cheering when that happens.

I know of a free open source multi platform recipe calculator.

That includes such features as:

No chill hop method adjustments

Shared recipe editing

... just added Can kits support in the last week.

Updates approximately monthly.

Yep, i signed up for that just the other day! Really nice start. Bit buggy in anything other than IE though. Only wish i knew ruby. Never could get my head around rails

:rolleyes: More than one platform = multi-platform. Not omni-platform, but that's still better than M$-only.
No, damn it, I want a native Beersmith for my 386 running OS/2. It's either omni-platform or it's nothing!

Wont somebody think of the poor Amiga owners?

you're right. i purposely exaggerated. the idea is still valid though. people on this forum share and collaborate on everything from recipes to building equipment, to purchasing ingredients. no reason why we couldn't do the same for the software we use to develop these recipes. if there was a decent open platform for beer brewing that was actively developed it would probably have more chance of keeping up with the ever changing ideas and methods that are discussed here

There is a brewer on this forum offering his free brew software and also taking feedback on design considerations. And it is a great bit of kit.

Cheers Brad

it's probably the only bit of software I've paid for (directly) partly/mostly for the above reason...

Me too, I would have even coughed up more... Best value piece of Software around methinks.

Back