So What's The Go With Galaxy Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta try all these different base malts one of these days.. I brew all my beer with BB mega brewer malt as my base. A blend of Schooner and Gairdner barley. Probably the same as the "pale" but I certainly don't know for sure.

I'd probably make a series of insanely dry beers if I changed now without changing my methods - I'm so used to malt with a low AAL and a really tolerant set of enzymes. Big ratio of alpha to Beta amylase.

I get my mega brewer malt for free, so I'm not changing any time soon. I decided early on in my brewing career, that if I was a decent brewer, then I would be able to brew good beer with the malt I had available, whatever it was - and refusing to use free malt seemed like spitting in the face of the brewing gods. So I reckon with a bit of effort and serious attention to recipe... you can do a hell of a lot with whatever malt you happen to have.

Still - a lot of this stuff sound delicious. I might have to have a go.

Free malt? For sure I would be using it too!

At least as you say you have a good knowledge of what the malt is capable of, but it certainly would be interesting to do a side by side comparison with a different base malt to see how it affects the process and end product. As for myself, I have no idea really, as I keep changing the base malt according to the style of beer I am making, and I am still very much in the new AG brewer stage of brewing different styles on a whim. I have found a few styles that I really like and will settle on according to the season of the year I am brewing in, but I have a sack full of Galaxy and really liked the light colour of the last brew with it, so might continue with it for a few more brews yet.

Crundle

Latest posts

Back