So What Have You Go Brewin?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSRman

Reaction score
I whipped up a big starter the other day, and livened up some wyeast irish ale, brewed up on sunday, a leftover beer, consisting of 2x cans of grumpys pale low hopped extract, some steeped pale and wheat malt, some challenger at 10 mins, and 1 chilli..

then i only pitched about 1L of my starter, and wondered what to do about it..

So last night i used a leftover can of coopers canadian blonde, boiled up in a few litres of water 1kg of honey, (wanted to keep it light coloured) added a tiny amount (10gms) of challenger, boiled for a few minutes, skimmed, bunged that into the fermenter with the can of coopers and 350gms of dextrose, and hot-side aeration be damned slapped the laundry cold water tap on full and frothed the buggery out of it.. pitched the rest of my starter, and sat it next to my other fermenter.. (all up it took me 45 mins.. which was good, because i only had an hour.. and that allowed me time to sit and enjoy a beer)

what else have you guys got going at the moment?

I kegged my James Squire Pilsner clone last night and it tastes great.

I put my AG Oatmeal Stout last night into the lagering fridge at 3degC (it has already been in secondary for a week).

I brewed an AG Weizen at the weekend and it is bubbling away nicely and smelling great (love the aroma of the White Labs hefe-weizen yeast).

Won't get a chance to do and AG brew again for a few weeks so I'm thinking about maybe getting a Full Wort kit going to keep all kegs and fermenters full, with the World Cup fast approaching.

Beers,
Doc

I've got Cascade Common (extract/grain cross between an APA and a california common) sitting in primary, along with a kit-based hefeweizen.

In secondary I've got two brews that I really need to bottle, but I'm lazy. One is a barley wine thats been in secondary for 6 weeks. Other is an IPA thats been in secondary for 4 weeks.

In the kegs I've got MSB Deep Roast Ale, and a kit-based lager which is really quite crap IMO. I'm really no good at making lagers :)

i have my 1/2 and 1/2 Bock in the secondary.
a munich heles in the 4th keg lagering.

a coopers sparkling Ale clone in keg 1, 1st ever robust porter in keg 2, and a JS amber Ale clone in keg 3 - all on tap..choices - gota luv choices.

Making a boags premium for a mate - in secondary.
making a double light (alcohol) stout batch...in primary - 1/2 for me and 1/2 for a mate.

have just done the first racking on my sweet mead methegline. - og 1130 now 1070. - 10 ltr bucket.
racked my RIS og 1090 - now 1032. - 10 ltr bucket
haven't racked the KERIS yet. - 10 ltr bucket.

Might have a go at a double batch of lemonade this weekend - or yorkshire bitter - or london fullers pride.

Bottled a Brown Ale on the weekend. Extract (Coopers Light unhopped) with specialty grains (crystal, chocolate and black). OG 1.047. Yeast was Safale S-04 (great strain IMO).

I usually use Fuggles for bittering and aroma for Brown Ales, but I thought I'd give this one a bit of a kick and used POR for bittering instead, and upped the IBU's to about 35. Not the most traditional Brown Ale, but it tasted great at bottling.

stratis

Dry hop in the secondary with Cascade.
The POR and Cascade create a nice flavour between them. I usually do this for my dark ales and stouts...Northern brewer instead of POR is quite good too.

On the next brown ale - try adding 50-100gms of dark compound cooking choc to the boil.
I just added some to my first robust porter...very good. Really adds a dash of choc to the flavour and really enhances the mouthfeel.

God i brew boring after seeing what you guys have.

I am still trying to master the lagers before i try more.
Just finished a part mash larger last night, also have a Lager(kit) in the secondry and 2 lagers in 2 kegs in the fridge, one drinnking other awaiting its fate!

I am trying different hops and ways of brewing with same style of beer to iron out my bad habbits.

Just starting liquid yeast and mash brewing ...... boy am i lost! but slowly getting there thanks to fourm help :blink:

GMK said:
stratis

Dry hop in the secondary with Cascade.
The POR and Cascade create a nice flavour between them. I usually do this for my dark ales and stouts...Northern brewer instead of POR is quite good too.

On the next brown ale - try adding 50-100gms of dark compound cooking choc to the boil.
I just added some to my first robust porter...very good. Really adds a dash of choc to the flavour and really enhances the mouthfeel.
Thanks for the tips GMK.

I think others in rec.crafts.brewing have said that POR for bittering and cascade for aroma is a good combination. I'll give it a go next time.

Your robust porter sounds interesting - I've been meaning to do one this winter. Would you mind posting the recipe?

I've got a 15L Fresh Wort Bock in the lager fridge at the moment, and a Trappist Tripel in the hot water cabinet (a perfect 21C). I've also got a partial mash oatmeal stout conditioning in a hard to get at place, Ken's aussie draught in the hot water cabinet trying to carbonate, and my Coopers Sparkling clone conditioning behind the bar. I'll be putting on a partial mash hefe-weizen in a week or so, which will just about fill all my bottles :)

- Snow.

Good Day
Relying on a cold garage and San Fran yeast I am going full bore with lagers. Have a Boh. Pils bottled, dunkel and marzen in the secondaries, two helles, a maibock, vienna, boh. pils and a schwarzbier in the primaries. I plan to brew a dortmunder and an Aussie pils on Friday (will try WLP Zurich Lager yeast for the pils).
I am on two weeks holidays and brew two mash beers at a time. I am mainly drinking bitters, pale ales, stouts, a porter, an Irish red and some pale BBQ ales which were brewed in warmer times. Bottling does take some extra time but it does give you a good variety.

Hey there,

This is only my third brew ever. I'ts a can with a kilo of brewing sugar. First was the same camr out fine, second was a ginger beer that came out ok. Good enough for me.
Good luck to everyone whatever they are brewing.

:D

Im really into the "COOPERS HERITAGE"largers at the moment. Got one largering in the keg that was brewed using 1 kilo of DME and dry hopped with 20 grm Cascade pellets after racking into secondary .its a beer that the hop flavour really hits you..( the kind of thing I like)
Have another that I racked yesterday and dry hopped with 20 grm cascade and 20 grm Pride of ringwood.It may sound like too much but it tastes great.Will leave it to larger in the fermenter in the fridge for a few weeks yet.

Both will be stored for warmer weather drinking.
Thats what I say at the moment.

Cheers....JWB

just bottled esb fresh wort bock and about to a czech pils

using 1 kg hoephfner pils malt
250 grm carapils(mashed)

saaz hops to a total of 40 ibu
i can of coopeers pilsner
500grm extra light malt

2206 wyeast

got this recpie from tom at jovial monk the following will be a hahn premium or boags premium clone

first partial tastes good.

time to set up for mash brews and all grain brews

hey,
have a morgans pilsner bubbling away now. racking to secondary this weekend. that and a coopers real ale thats been bottled for about five weeks. should be ok for testing.
joe

I just Bottled my Amber Ale (Grumpies M/Brew) dry hopped with Hersbrucker Hallertau (thought I'd try to copy the Cascade Autumn Amber Ale).
Coming up I have a 3Kg MSB Aussie Draught, which I was going to throw a heap of the leftover H/H hops at :)

I've got a Brakspear Special sitting in the fermenter, keeping company with a Pilsner Urquell which is off for cold conditioning tomorrow. To be replaced with a first attempt at Peroni. I hope this turns out as good as the real thing

Greg :D

My AG "buggered bitter" is coming up to 4 weeks in the bottle, the wife and I have been making the same can with the same brew sugar but different hops so she can taste the difference and decide on a hop she likes.So I have six crates of amber ale!(gold rush mabbotts ale)
Also have a Tooheys draught at 2 weeks in the bottle and have a pilsener can awaiting the wyeast urquell yeast treatment and today I bought an ESB 3kg bavarian lager can for the bavarian lager yeast that doc gave me for a bottle of the tooheys and buggered bitter.

Now all thats left is to sit back and drink down the supplies to get more bottles so I can brew again

:chug: :chug: :chug:

I've just moved a Pilsner from the secondaryinto a keg for conditioning. I used a Wyeast Czech 2278 yeast. Just before I started cleaning up I'm looking into the bottom of the secondary and seeing all that expensive lager yeast - Hmmmmmm......

I had a can of Coopers Heritage and a kilo of liquid malt so I gave them a quick heatup in the boiler with 10g of Hellertau hops and threw it on top of the yeast cake. One day later and it's working well.

Also put together a all extract Bock using Light LME and some Chocolate malt extract. I've used the same yeast for that as well (I made a few starters when I first got the Wyeast) as their printed guide says this yeast is suitable for both Czech Pilsners as well as Bocks :rolleyes: (hope it works)

Trev

I put down a lager late last night, about 11 pm.
coopers bohemian lager kit, can coopers wheat malt
and about 380 g's ldme, total malt just over 3.5 kgs

boiled the malt with about 17 g halletau for about 40 minutes. Used litre starter with a wyeast lager yeast, forgot which one, its either 2124 or 2206. O.G was 1047.

found the coldest place in the house, the bathroom.
and placed the fermenter on the vanity. checked this morning, and was fermenting nicely

Back