So I've got......

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GFC07

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I've got the following,

Coopers pale ale tin
Coopers light malt extract tin
1kg crystal grain
50g Amarillo
50g northern brewer
50g cascade

Can get more ingredients if needed,

So what do you guys suggest i make with the above? + more if needed

I was originally going to make a hop hog of sorts that id made before, but couldn't remember what i used last time when i was at the brew shop.

Throw some suggestions at me, open to ideas

Tip over a few for old mate the young buck, rip

Cheers

If it were me I would steep 250g of the crystal in about 5L of 70C water for a half hour. When that's done add about 500g of the light malt extract and bring to the boil.

10g amarillo and cascade 30 min
20g amarillo and cascade 10 min

Cool down, pour into fermenter with coopers pale ale tin and remaining extract. Top up to 20L. Ferment with US05 or something similar.

Dry hop equal parts amarillo and cascade at 1-2g/L for 5-7 days.

I've never used northern brewer so not sure what to do with it.

So i put the following in the fermenter on top of the left overs from a draft batch i just kegged,

So i fucked up initally i think, i let 500g of grain steep overnight in a pot with 2.5 litres of water in the oven (oven not switched on).
So when i went to check my handy work i had 3 litres of solid porridge looking stuff (learning fast i am).
Not wanting to waste the grains, i chucked the lot into a hop sock and soaked the ball of porridge in another 2 litres of hot water for a couple of minutes, and tried to suck as much juice out of the ball of grain as i could (dunno if this is right or not) and ended up with 1.25 litres worth. So i put that in a plastic bottle overnight to settle.

Put the 1.25 litre of grain wash in about 9ltr pot, added about another 2.5 litres of water, and about 1/3 of the tin of liquid light malt extract also.
Tipped the remainder of the LME tin into the fermentor on top of leftovers from a batch i just kegged. (first time at this)
Tipped tin coopers pale ale and about 3 litres of cold water to get the yeast going a little
Brought pot to the boil,
Added to boiling wort
10 g Northern brewer @ 10% for 50min for bittering. Is first time using these hops so not sure what to expect really (was going to be 60 min but got impatient toward the end)
15 g Cascade & Amarillo 25 min
20 g Cascade & Amarillo 3 min

Cooled pot down in the sink to about 35 deg and tipped into the fermenter
Stirred the f&%k out of it for 2 min or so and filled to 20.5 liters pouring the cold water from great height to oxygenate the wort.

Just for safety's sake i pitched a pack of Uso5 into the wort also, im sure the existing yeast would have been fine but just in case,

Im might dry hop with the left over cascade and amarillo from the 50g packs i got, not sure how the northern brewer goes dry hoping?

Didnt take a OG as i forgot,

Im hoping its about 4.5 - 5 %, with lots of hop flavors and aromas

Not sure how the grains are going to effect the overall taste considering i left them so long soaking and they absorbed all of the intial water they soaked?

Hopefully is good enough to drink though

Cheers,

500g of crystal malt would produce a very dark beer, half that quantity would have been ok, but hopefully you have rescued the situation. The Coopers tin is pretty well hopped to start off with so the finished beer will be on the bitter side, might have been a good idea not to put in the Northern Brewer. That hop won't add a whole lot if using it for dry hopping, save for another batch.

However, should turn out a nice drop provided the sanitation has been spot on. Happy drinking :super:

Back