So I Got Bitten By A Dog Yesterday.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.
Reaction score
Tried to help my neighbour's Shar-Pei yesterday after he jumped up at the fence and got his front paw caught between the palings. The poor little guy was hanging there from a 1500mm high fence, crying horribly and in a huge amount of pain.
I stupidly jumped the fence without thinking and tried to lift him up to get his paw out and he turned around and bit my throat/jaw, then went back for 2nds and 3rds at my arm and flank.
Spent 5 hours in the Mater Hospital getting X-rays and stitches.
The dog got rescued too, and the owners dropped off a box of chocolates, 2 pints of LCPA (they know I'm a beer snob) and a note thanking me for my heroism, apologising for the bite and saying they'll cover my medical bills.

Still wouldn't hesitate helping an animal in pain, but I'd probably think about how to do it safely before running blindly in.

08072012983.jpg

08072012977.jpg

Good on you for helping the dog mate, I know I probably would have done the same thing!!

Looks painful but I'm sure the beer will numb that pain ;)

I think those toilet paper ads have sorta made people forgot that those are fighting dogs and can mess you up pretty bad.

Well done, mate. Big job you took on there.

Yes, yes, no good deed and all that bollocks..

By the look of those puncture marks, particularly the one just forward of your jugular, you dodged a ******* bullet there mate.

Well at least the scar won't be that visible. One big drawback will be not being able to shave for about the next 2 weeks. I really hope the wounds don't get infected.

Nice that you helped the dog. Too bad it didn't realise you were trying to help.

Fantastic bite marks.
Cool that the owners thanked you in beer & medical costs.

Did the exact same thing for a mate with a big bull terrier once. We were driving past and saw it hung up by the throat. Gotta say i was pretty scared the same thing was going to happen once we started trying to handle it, and even more once we had freed it. Turned out ok though.

Rescued some kids and almost saved their dog from a fukin great mastif/dane cross about two months ago. The kids were really shaken the spaniel was shaken till it's spine broke. Another time when i was more front than confidence, but what can you do otherwise when kids are involved?

I like your non victim attitude. You chose to take the actions you did on behalf of the dog. Because you got injurde doesn't mean you should be sueing the owners, but there's plenty around that would.
Bet they were worried about the same thing.

If I was in their situation I would be too.
I'll go over there tonight when they get home from work and pat the dog and reassure them that I take responsibility for my injury. God knows that I couldn't take the dog away from the 5 and 9 year old kids that live there. I know the dog is not dangerous, so I feel 100% with my decisions.

Good on you for going out of your way to help a trapped animal mate, just sucks about the repercussions from it.

Hopefully nothing comes of the dog bites and only a bit of a scar, which always make good stories for the grandchildren.

Should've tried asking for some grand cru or something for your efforts ;)

Sponge

Awesome battle scars.

Very brave of you to jump in for the dog. I've known so many callous unsympathetic neighbours of people with dogs, the poor things deserve a lot better.

Hope that heals well. Tell everyone it was a fight with a small lion in Africa :p

Wow man I own a Shar Pei.. Great dogs really...good job mate, right instinct..

nice scars. good on ya for helping.

my old man helped a dog that was hit by a car one night. went out on the road to pick move the dog off the road and it latched onto his hand and woudlnt let go. lots of stiches. fkd his work up as he was a chef and it was his masterhand. dog ended up being put down because the injuries were too extensive. so mangled hand and the dog died. still he doesnt regret it.

I would have shot the fucken thing.

Well the work ladies ooohed and aaahhed and "you poor, brave thing'd" the house down today, and my stubble from not shaving got a few pretty young lasses all hot and bothered today, so I'm going to go ahead and call this a win.
Me and that dog, we're mates now.

Well the work ladies ooohed and aaahhed and "you poor, brave thing'd" the house down today, and my stubble from not shaving got a few pretty young lasses all hot and bothered today, so I'm going to go ahead and call this a win.
Me and that dog, we're mates now.
Of course. He's tasted your blood and likes it. He's waiting for an opportunity to finish the job so he can gorge on your remains.

Back