So I finally signed up for AHB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fungusmungus

Reaction score
Salutations!

I've been trawling around on AHB for years now, and only just realised I never actually signed up.

So here goes: the traditional life story post.

I discovered beer that was not Corona about 6 years ago, discovered kit & kilo brewing about a month after that, and finally jumped into all grain brewing about 3 years ago.
Given my penchant for home made things, I'm currently running a home made 3 vessel system that usually achieves around 82% efficiency on a 55 litre, 1.060 batch, and a 3 tap keezer.

Pretty much everything <6% gets kegged - currently pouring a 4.5% amber ale, a 5.9% choc porter, and a 4-6% cider that keeps fermenting in the keg as long as it's topped up with a few litres of fresh juice every week.

My garage is currently gestating a ~9% quadrupel in primary, and a Russian imperial stout and biere de garde are sitting on oak chips in secondary.

For what it's worth, I'm as happy to share recipes and advice as I am to recieve, so here's hoping I can add as much to the community as I've gained over the last few years.

Cheers.

Aha. Another perpetual cider man. It will keep working slowly at serving temperature.
Using the OP's method I find that it just about generates enough gas to serve all three kegs in my kegmate.
I've been here for 3 years and only on the second 10k bottle.
The other advantage is that you can have sweeter cider along the same lines as Mercury or Strongbow.

Address please,,,,,and what times happy hour next Fri?

Cheers for the replies. It's been a while since I used forums, and Facebook and G+ have conditioned me to expect notifications when I get replies. I'm sure I'll get back into the swing of it soon enough.

Yob said:
Do you just have your cider at ambient?
Nah, but I only have my keezer at about 4 degrees, and this yeast strain seems to cope fairly well at that temperature.

Bribie G said:
Aha. Another perpetual cider man. It will keep working slowly at serving temperature.
Using the OP's method I find that it just about generates enough gas to serve all three kegs in my kegmate.
I've been here for 3 years and only on the second 10k bottle.
The other advantage is that you can have sweeter cider along the same lines as Mercury or Strongbow.
I lasted 2 years of pretty solid drinking off a single 2.6kg bottle, and I'm guessing the Perpetuapple had a lot to do with it.
Unfortunately, we overdid it last weekend and blew gas out of all 3 taps. Time to get a batch of cheap Aldi cider on so I don't have to deal with grumpywife until next harvest.
In the meantime, I've got a couple of kegs from work to see me through until my next batch of sessionable beers are ready.

Damn said:
Address please,,,,,and what times happy hour next Fri?
Ballarat, Vic, and I don't limit my happy hours to Fridays.
I have a nasty habit of having internet acquaintances round for beer and BBQ, so if you find yourself in the area, feel free to hit me up.

I'm not a cider drinker but this perpetual fermentation thing is interesting. What yeast strain(s) happily keep going at 4°C? I assume that all kegs including the cider are just hooked up to a manifold or splitter and fed by the same CO2 bottle? Is an effort made to stop excess CO2 from the cider over-carbonating itself or the beer?

Exactly how perpetual is it? As in, how long can the repeated topping-up go on for? Is yeast mutation a concern? What about sanitation? A raging debate in another thread regarding re-using a keg without washing between fills comes to mind.

I've had the same keg going for about 8 months with no discernible change to the yeast character.
It was T-58, for anyone interested.
My manifold has anti-return valves, so it won't charge other kegs. It keeps itself charged though, and has never needed to be plugged in to the CO2 tank.

T-58 for cider? Interesting...

Going to have to give that a go!

Latest posts

Back