Snpa In Adl!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
Hot off the e-mail:

The aromatic, all malt, bottle conditioned, microbrewed classic is here!

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the definitive American Pale Ale and possibly the most copied beer in the US; Australia's own Little Creatures Pale Ale is based on the legendary SNPA.

Tasting Notes: "Deep orange-gold in colour with a signature aroma of Cascade hops: grapefruit, lime, pine needles and blackcurrant. The bitterness is broad but moderate, supporting a round, lightly fruity palate with gentle carbonation and bready grain flavours. The finish is very dry with lingering hop bitterness." Garret Oliver, The Brewmaster's Table

Brewer and Beer Guru Garret Oliver reckons SNPA "...tastes the way a banjo sounds; with vibrant, clear, happy notes." Irresistible!

Cheers,

Jade

The Wheatsheaf Hotel
39 George St Thebarton
ph: 8443 4546

Wee Stu, beer at the Wheatie??? :)

quite clearly a muso didn't write that or anyone that even likes music, tastes like a banjo?

A banjo is one dimensional has no dynamic range at all and for the most part is bloody annoying!

As for SNPA well i'am half cut already but give me two seconds and i'll try find a driver and i'll be there.

Jayse

hahah i'm 1/2 cut as well :lol: :beer:
gonna have to try one tomorrow

i think worst end dirt tastes a bit like banjo

jayse said:
quite clearly a muso didn't write that or anyone that even likes music, tastes like a banjo?

A banjo is one dimensional has no dynamic range at all and for the most part is bloody annoying!

As for SNPA well i'am half cut already but give me two seconds and i'll try find a driver and i'll be there.

Jayse
[post="95139"][/post]​

Sadly jayse I am in exactly the same boat. However, on the banjo Swamp Thing and Arco Arena come to mind, both excellent tracks.

Well I am freshly back from a mini session on said ale. I really did enjoy it. It didn't have quite the same punch I remember it having when I was in the USA a couple of years ago. That said I hadn't had anything like it before at the time.

It certainly is not very fresh :( I only checked one out of ............ bottles but the date on it was 27/07/04. I don't know if this was a best before or a brewed on as it was dim but either way I'm sure it was past it's prime. The beer was imported from the UK. So it must have had at least two major ocean voyages. All said and done I still enjoyed the beer. It probably wasn't what it would be fresh but it showed no major noticable signs of oxidation etc.

They told me it will now be a regular, conditional on supplier. They are looking at getting other SN beers but this is unlikely in the near future.

Worth a session but only if you are not price sensitive.

"...tastes the way a banjo sounds"

I watched the film 'Deliverance' and I would be a bit nervous about any body who plays a banjo and says YeeeeHaaaa!!!!!. :unsure:

Pumpy

After much arm twisting in chat last nite I joined aaron for this mini session.
I can't really give a accurate review of SNPA but I could give some tasting notes on the 18 month old bottles that they have at the wheaty.
At 9 bucks a pop i don't think i'll be going for anymore. Thats not saying the beer wasn't very good as i thought it was but when you have pints of little creatures on tap for 5 bucks 20 you'd having to be a brewer to actually go back for another SNPA session for the mere factor its a beer most brewers would all love to get there hands on.
The sweetness which i find sometimes in LCPA was almost exactly the same in the SNPA and over all extremely close. Like i said it wouldn't be fair to give a review on SNPA based on these samples that have spent more time at sea than captian cook.
It still to me had a freshness about it and like aaron said no noticeble effects of a long time since it had been brewed other than the bitterness wasn't quite there and the aroma was gone aswell, the cascade was still deffintly in the flavour and all up it was a great beer that you could drink down all nite long, possibly even easier than LCPA to go a good session all nite on for most people.

Anyway I'd go have some if i were you as it is quite a lovely APA that you could very happily drink till the cows get returned by the aliens.

Jayse

Now available in an Adelaide bottleshop too, Cellarbrations on Greenhill Rd, Glenside (no affiliation, but you can tell Greg that Stuart the Scottish homebrewer sent you, it won't do you any good....... but next time I call in, who knows?). $8 a stubbie, $7.20 in a six pack of itself or other exotic beers.

I found the cascade quite muted, certainly compared to homebrewed APAs I have tried, but but definitely a very drinkable drop.

As far as being old is concerned, I would have thought they would have come through on the same order as the Wheaty's, but the only date on my bottles is 07/07/06, which is a best before date.

If I am good, I will bring a bottle or two to the SA Xmas case swap meeting on Saturday, though at least mine may be going to a charitable cause ;)

on those subjects: i agree $9 was a bit steep, so we had a snpa each, then a pint of everything on tap, some 1800 tequila and chimays in goblets
i'd tell you more but I can't really remember (but the missus was ticked off the next day, so i must have been pissed)
i reserve judgement on snpa until i try it fresh on tap or some fresh bottes, but, it's f*%#ing tasty! No doubt. I kinda like Rogers and the weird mountain goat ipa fresh on tap better, but some of the grainy beers seem better fresh and sweet.

cellerbrations : a mate of mine Belinda works there, they have some freaky beers and they keep changing them which is cool and Belinda is a BREWER :) Another one of those top sorts that read these boards regularly but don't post.

tangent said:
i'd tell you more but I can't really remember

Sounds like a visit to the wheaty all right.

those poor girls see us enter like gentlemen and leave in taxis like depraved beasts within a matter of hours!

Also now in stock at the Wheaty now is the Emerson's American Pale Ale from New Zealand. This is a seriously nice beer from the land of the long white cloud. Not cheap at $12 for 500 ml, but seriously well made. Much drier than LCPA or their stock of SNPA. Seek it out fellow travellers.

There I was drinking one quietly on a Saturday arvo with my Mrs, when in walked Jayse :) Small world, Adelaide!

Anyway I apologised to Jade for any unseemly behavior on the night of the big d visit. She didn't say too much, soul of discretion is our Jade, but she agreed that apologies were in order :ph34r:

Come to think of it, she did mutter something about a hat, a glass and a certain cactus :ph34r:

agreed Stu, lovely APA :)
good to hear you're making amends with the powers that be.

CACTUS :D glad i missed that one stu.anyway as most of you wheatie inhabitants are aware im back in adelaide real soon so maybe another wheatie session is on the cards. ;)

cheers
big d

I'm looking forward to it, big d. Not sure if that's with excitement or trepidation, though.

Yeap here i'am walking into the wheaty to have a couple beers for lunch on a break in between gigs and this lovely short scottish lad taps me on the shoulder and says get the emersons APA. What a wonderfull beer, possibly the best APA i have had , certainly the best comercial APA anyway.

Very top drop indeed.

I would say the kashmir of APA :super:
Jayse

jayse said:
I would say the kashmir of APA :super:
Jayse
[post="98234"][/post]​
So good India and Pakistan would fight over it? :beer: Oh, you meant :p

wee stu said:
Now available in an Adelaide bottleshop too, Cellarbrations on Greenhill Rd, Glenside (no affiliation, but you can tell Greg that Stuart the Scottish homebrewer sent you, it won't do you any good....... but next time I call in, who knows?). $8 a stubbie, $7.20 in a six pack of itself or other exotic beers.

[post="96474"][/post]​

Went here late last week and they had sold out. :angry: They will be ordering more for delivery mid jan :) .The dude tells me they come from Perth.

Well they are back in stock at Cellarbrations.

I now have 2 cooling their heels in my fridge for tasting this evening :p

American pale ale via England,via Perth to an Adelaide liquor store,and into my mouth :chug: ...What a journey

Back