Snpa Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Dog Brewery

Reaction score
Im looking at brewing the much talked about (on their site - northern brewer) SNPA clone from beerfun. Im happy to try it as its recommended however it calls for Magnum and Pearle hops and while I can find some Pearle around OZ Im struggling to find magnum. Question, who do you know that has Pearle and magnum and what hops would substitute well or should I just go cascade all the way or cascade and some centennial? If so how much & when?

Here are the hops as recommended
Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.60 25.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 7.70 7.3 30 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.80 4.3 10 min.
2.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.45 0.0 0 min

Cheers BDB

Try Ross at Craftbrewer. I got some magnum and centennial from him recently, sure he'd have Pearl also

clay

Hi Clay,

He's my first stop shop but no luck on Magnum or Pearle.

Thanks

cheers BDB
Hiya
something quite useful on the craftbrewer site is if you click on the individual hop link it gives you some stats and further information, including a list of possible substitutes.

He has Perle(correct spelling)
Perle
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=640

Unfortunately it seems that ross has sold out of both Magnum and Horizon best option would probably be willamette, a good general american hop.

Hope this helps

Q

In Fairness to Ross I should say he has some plugs of Perle but not the pellets I was after. (Note to myself - I should look harder before posting)

Cheers BDB

i'd sub the Magnum with any clean bittering hop: Northern Brewer, Southern Cross etc
as for Perle try Tettnanger?

Hop shortage.... is this the end of the APA :lol: :party:

Oh i shouldnt be so cruel

Maybe try some Sothern Cross to bitter, tettnanger, B or D saaz, Nelson Sauven, Northdown, lots of options.

cheers

I was going to do the same recipe but swapping the Magnum with Simcoe, only because I have some in the freezer. Failing that I was going to get some from the UK site Beertech but they're now out also.

I would go with Super Alpha and Tettnanger as subs for Magnum and Perle respectively.

Tettnanger in APA's with Cascade/Amarillo/Centennial style hops is great.

Cheers.

I've used this recipe quite a few times and it's a nice drop. Magnum is a very neutral type of bittering hop that will not interfere with the flavour you are getting from the cascade, I agree with Randyrob on the northern brewer or you could try the super alpha and tettnanger for the perle. Jeez, the hop shortage begins, glad I still have a 450g bag of magnum in the freezer.

cheers

Browndog

I use simcie for bittering in APAs. Passionfuit yum yum!

What timing. I am brewing the SNPA recipe from the Northern Brewer site on Sunday. I have substituted the Magnum with Horizon (from Grain & Grape).

Im looking at brewing the much talked about (on their site - northern brewer) SNPA clone from beerfun. Im happy to try it as its recommended however it calls for Magnum and Pearle hops and while I can find some Pearle around OZ Im struggling to find magnum. Question, who do you know that has Pearle and magnum and what hops would substitute well or should I just go cascade all the way or cascade and some centennial? If so how much & when?

Here are the hops as recommended
Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.60 25.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 7.70 7.3 30 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.80 4.3 10 min.
2.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.45 0.0 0 min

Cheers BDB

Hi Black Dog,
I think I could spare you 0.5 oz of Magnum if you want to try it. Will check supplies tonight.
I live at Hallett Cove and work at Mawson Lakes. PM me if interested.

C&B
TDA

i'd sub the Magnum with any clean bittering hop: Northern Brewer, Southern Cross etc
as for Perle try Tettnanger?
I'd agree that any clean bittering hop will do. I recently bittered a weizen with Target and topped up the flavour and aroma with Saaz. Quite good.

In this beer (only if TDA can't spare the Magnum), you could bitter with Target or POR (nods at Tony) or whatever you can get, and flavour it up with any spicy noble German hop (Tettnang, Spalt), just not a fruity German hop like Hallertau (Hersbrucker, Mittelfrueh, Hall. Hall.)

Best of luck, as the SNPA is a very drinkable beer; which I assume is what you're after: a "daily drinker".

beerz :beerbang:
Les

Latest posts

Back