Snap taps... a cautionary tale...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuggetSA

Reaction score
Snap taps are wonderful things - cheap, easy to clean and easy to use and regulate flow. However...

It's been said on here before but I just thought I'd reiterate a danger of snap taps. If the tap is facing outwards rather than inwards, there is a really good chance the fridge door will push on the tap. I just cleaned up a whole lot of brewing stout from my fridge and floor... a very sticky stout. A really nice bubbly happy brew. Hope someone else can learn from my idiocy.

Going to go and have a cry into my last Guinness from Sunday now :wacko:

What's a snap tap?

EDIT: OK, jusst google imaged it. All pictures have the tap facing inward. Why would you turn it around?

snap tap.jpeg

Not sure why you had the tap facing the other way, but are you sure it was the fridge door pushing it?

I tried a snap tap on my last brew, it's the last time I'm using one.
They don't seal very well, I had to put a small plastic container under the outlet to catch the drips.
That was after I noticed my brew on the floor of my fridge. :(

Back to the originals.

I'd taken some other stuff out of the fridge earlier and must have knocked it around, otherwise no idea, just was :blink: Definitely the door, it actually hadn't closed fully which is the only reason I still have a couple of litres left as I noticed and went back to check.

Yeah don't think I'll use it again although never had an issue with drips (just a bloody beer tidal-wave...)

Not a serious bitch, just thought it funny in a sad waste of beery way :p

I like them because I find them much easier to clean. Just unscrew the snap section.

EDIT: OK, jusst google imaged it. All pictures have the tap facing inward. Why would you turn it around?
I dont use one for brewing because my bottling tube thingy doesnt fit; BUT I do use them on my water containers when camping and always flick them around the opposite way as they are far easier to opperate by pushing them down with a finger and gives beeter control over flow.

I got a box of them from a camping shop closing down a few years ago paid like $1.50 each :)

When I bottle with them I do turn the tap around for that reason however this one was unintentional...

Komodo said:
I dont use one for brewing because my bottling tube thingy doesnt fit; BUT I do use them on my water containers when camping and always flick them around the opposite way as they are far easier to opperate by pushing them down with a finger and gives beeter control over flow.
The bottling tube doesn't fit, but a "little bottler" is exactly the right size to fit the nozzle. So since I don't bottle I cut a few cm of plastic tube and that goes in the nozzle and then the racking tube can fit over the pipe

My bottling tube didn't fit either, but it figured it was close enough so I just jam it in there. It does fit :D

treefiddy said:
My bottling tube didn't fit either, but it figured it was close enough so I just jam it in there. It does fit :D
...this comment just begs a "that's what she said." But I would never stoop that low.

Stux said:
The bottling tube doesn't fit, but a "little bottler" is exactly the right size to fit the nozzle. So since I don't bottle I cut a few cm of plastic tube and that goes in the nozzle and then the racking tube can fit over the pipe
These days I just jam 1/2" silicon hose OVER the snap tap. The flow rate is fantastic :)

+1 on the silicone hose with the snap facing inwards. lil bit of a drip but at least they don't twist like the standard bunnings jerrycan spigots which drove me nutty everytime I used them

Stux said:
These days I just jam 1/2" silicon hose OVER the snap tap. The flow rate is fantastic :)
but how does She feel about that?

Well it's only half inch so shouldn't be much complaining at all ;)

Back