Snakebite! Kinda

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troopa

Reaction score
Well I stuffed up my effeciencies on a double choc porter double batch yesterday
I ended up with 49 litres of 1.060 instead of 44 liters of 1.048
Yeah total stuff up i know but what can you do.. well....

You can do a quick and nasty snakebite with the fresh wort of about 1/4 glass to 3/4 glass of aldi cider
Its got a strong chocolate flavor(Which it should because it hasnt been scrubbed out by CO2 yet) and its kinda brought out some sort of frangellico orangey choc hints.. its actually really good
You can imagine this is really muddy looking as the porter is about 55EBC so i think the color would drop back to serious 30s with the cider

And well i decided, instead of throwing it im going to ferment the Aldi and Choc Porter together
The porter recipe is mostly Saaz to 30IBU with 3 blocks of Lidnt 85% cocoa and a heap of choc malt and amber with some caramalt with JW trad

Im going to use the whitbread 1099 that im using for the double choc porters as well to see how it goes with ciders

So it should be somewhere abouts 6L Choc Porter with about 14L Aldi juice
Ill let you know how it ends up and for $14 worth of juice and some left over wort im not really caring if it tastes like monkey pee :p

Anyone else done something weird with left overs/stuff ups?

Tom

Over volume and over gravity, but still not sure it would be a stuff-up in my book. :)
As long as you check the gravity going into the fermentor and/or can adjust the IBU's as required (could even french-press some hops and add directly to the fermentor). But it's much nicer going over, since you can simply dilute or spit the lager volume/over gravity wort into multiple batches/fermentors if required.

I assume your fermentor can only fit 43-44L and that you only 'wasted' 6L of nice sounding choc-porter wort by mixing it with apple juice?

Well I stuffed up my effeciencies on a double choc porter double batch yesterday
I ended up with 49 litres of 1.060 instead of 44 liters of 1.048
Yeah total stuff up i know but what can you do.. well....

You can do a quick and nasty snakebite with the fresh wort of about 1/4 glass to 3/4 glass of aldi cider
Its got a strong chocolate flavor(Which it should because it hasnt been scrubbed out by CO2 yet) and its kinda brought out some sort of frangellico orangey choc hints.. its actually really good
You can imagine this is really muddy looking as the porter is about 55EBC so i think the color would drop back to serious 30s with the cider

And well i decided, instead of throwing it im going to ferment the Aldi and Choc Porter together
The porter recipe is mostly Saaz to 30IBU with 3 blocks of Lidnt 85% cocoa and a heap of choc malt and amber with some caramalt with JW trad

Im going to use the whitbread 1099 that im using for the double choc porters as well to see how it goes with ciders

So it should be somewhere abouts 6L Choc Porter with about 14L Aldi juice
Ill let you know how it stuffs up and for $14 worth of juice and some left over wort im not really caring if it tastes like monkey pee :p

Anyone else done something weird with left overs/stuff ups?

Tom

I once added left over pasta from the night before to my vegimite on toast in the morning. It was really nice.

Latest posts

Back