Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mate, it definitely exceed my expectations.

Matty, I left the skin on while it was curing in the brine, and through the short boil/simmer and smoking process. After that I cut it off and put the ham in the fridge until Xmas day, when it was taken out and the diamond shapes cut into the fat, baked in the oven for 90 mins at 170/180°C while applying glaze every 25 minutes or so.

Bought one of the Adli gas smokers a few weeks ago.

Smoking day tomorrow. Got a Brisket and pork shoulder and the alarm set for 5am.

Will get up get that going then sit around the pool with a few home brew and watch the cricket.
How did the brisket turn out? I've only made it a handful of times , but when done good the taste is absolutely delicious

Turned out really well, nice smoke ring and very tender. There was plenty left over so had a few days of it to have with some home brews.

Ended up doing it again on Boxing day.

Turned out really well, nice smoke ring and very tender. There was plenty left over so had a few days of it to have with some home brews.

Ended up doing it again on Boxing day.
What temp do you do yours and how long. I find getting a nice bark on it a bit tricky

I do mine at 100C.

I keep adding wood chips until it hits an internal temp of 65-70C then just keep it on heat until it hits 95C internal. Roughly 4 hours to get to 65C then 6 hours to hit 95C.

I then wrap it in foil and an old towel and let is rest in an esky for about 2 hours.

I had to use a Texas crutch for the boxing day one as it hit a stall. There was a bit of wind about which probably didn't help things.

Do you get the crispy bark on it? I've done a couple now but now bark. Using water in the dish so maybe too much moisture. Might try without water next time.

Do you get the crispy bark on it? I've done a couple now but now bark. Using water in the dish so maybe too much moisture. Might try without water next time.

When I used the crutch no. Otherwise yes.

I have seen that some people throw a crutched brisket on the grill for a few minutes after the rest to dry out the bark. Not tried it myself though.

After some advice please guys. I’m smoking a 2.3kg leg of lamb (boned) in the bbq tomorrow. Haven’t done much of it before but need pointers on temp and time so I don’t stuff it up. I have some Shiraz soaked oak which I plan to split into chips and put in a metal tray.
Should I put anything in or on the lamb?
Should I do it up high in the hooded bbq or on the grill with the smoker tray next to it?
Is my best bet to whack as much smoke in as I can at a fairly low temp for a fair while (4hrs??)
One burner on low will likely be too hot, should I just make a little fire with the chips and let that do the job then make it hotter last half hour to put a nice crust on it?
I am a complete novice
Cheers.

I've been in the process of making bacon for the first time over the last few days. It's being made from pork loin (short cut bacon) rather than the belly, using a variation of the Canadian bacon recipe from the Charcuterie book. It was done as a wet cure, ingredients in that were:

4L water
350g non iodised salt
225 sugar (I used brown sugar)
42g curing salt #1 (6.25% sodium nitrite)
This was boiled on the stove and allowed to cool to room temp then refrigerated overnight, at which point the loin was submerged in it for 48 hours in the fridge. Yesterday I removed it from the cure, rinsed and patted dry and placed on a rack in the fridge in prep for smoking it today. It will be smoked with hickory.

I did cut a small slice off it yesterday to fry up for an early sample tasting and it was bloody delicious so I'm looking forward to the proper finished product. :D

The three images are the cured loin on the rack, the slice in the pan and the loin submerged in the cure earlier.
View attachment 108791 View attachment 108792 View attachment 108793
Can this be done without the curing salt?

Can this be done without the curing salt?
Not entirely sure. It would be more like a salted pork than proper cured bacon and would likely be grey rather than pink. Taste wouldn't be the same either I don't think. But, I've never tried it so I stand corrected.

Had to chuck in a build I worked on for smoking meat :)
puffin away.jpg

Attachments

• air compressors.jpg
    air compressors.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 109
  • bits needed.jpg
    bits needed.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 105
  • cut parts.jpg
    cut parts.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 104
  • test setup.jpg
    test setup.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 98
  • custom heat pipes.jpg
    custom heat pipes.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 105
  • heat pipes1.jpg
    heat pipes1.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 97
  • laser cut plates.jpg
    laser cut plates.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 106
  • drying beef.jpg
    drying beef.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 106
  • smoked pork.jpg
    smoked pork.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 100
Whole brisket time go wrap!

Attachments

• 20200823_040146.jpg
    20200823_040146.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 25
I use a old chargriller offset smoker and im smoking a chunk of silverside today , low and slow

Attachments

• 20201018_092925.jpg
    20201018_092925.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 16
Back