Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoked another batch of bacon yesterday, made from loin. Also have a belly in the freezer for the next lot. Turned out well, could probably use a tad more salt though. Still refining my cure recipe.

IMG_20171111_151456.jpg
IMG_20171111_193833.jpg

Are you using a dry or liquid brine.
Waiting for my pink salt to arrive next week (cure no 1) then I was going to dry brine a pork belly.
Been reading the book Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn.
Says to use the dry brine for 7 days and turn every day as the liquid comes out.
Firstly time doing anything thus style.

I use liquid, it doesn't take as long. I usually submerge the meat for 3 days, turning it at the halfway point. The first batch I only did two days and it didn't penetrate all the way through, and wasn't quite salty enough. Second batch was 3 days and went much better but a little overdone on the salt, and then there's this batch. I have that book too, I'm using the Canadian bacon recipe just without the herb additions.

Sent from my Agora 4G+ using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app

I've always skinned the meat before curing on the understanding that the cure penetrates evenly ( most recipes say to skin too ). I also cryovac the meat/dry rub, turning not so important then.
Your bacon looks good, will have to make a batch again. Get a bit lazy as my butcher has a smokehouse in shop, and makes good hams/bacon and other smallgoods.

I did take the skin off on the second batch actually. Might have to make it a regular thing, I suspect it did penetrate better with the skin off.

Bought one of the Adli gas smokers a few weeks ago.

Smoking day tomorrow. Got a Brisket and pork shoulder and the alarm set for 5am.

Will get up get that going then sit around the pool with a few home brew and watch the cricket.

Smoked my Christmas ham yesterday after it sat in the cure for 10 days. It is only a small one because I don't have the fridge room to do a full size one, and there's only 8 people to feed. Simmered it for about 10 mins first to drive out some of the salt, then into the smoker for about 4.5 hours with Hickory. The skin was removed after this photo; Monday I'm making a maple glaze for it and will bake it in the oven. It tastes really good too.
IMG_20171222_164254.jpg

Last edited:
The brine is a dry brine.
That is 1 cup brown sugar to 1/4 cup of coarse salt.
Pack the fish in a container with loads of the salt sugar mix on top and underneath.
Stick it in the fridge for minimum 4 hours.
I think 4 hours is perfect but you can leave it longer.
I find it dries out too much if you leave it too long.
Wash off all the salty sugar liquid and let it dry for an hour.
Bung it on the smoker around 100c for about an hour or until cooked through.
IMG_1018.jpg

The brine is a dry brine.
That is 1 cup brown sugar to 1/4 cup of coarse salt.
Pack the fish in a container with loads of the salt sugar mix on top and underneath.
Stick it in the fridge for minimum 4 hours.
I think 4 hours is perfect but you can leave it longer.
I find it dries out too much if you leave it too long.
Wash off all the salty sugar liquid and let it dry for an hour.
Bung it on the smoker around 100c for about an hour or until cooked through. View attachment 110613
Yum yum, thanks Tugger!

Ohhh hell yeah!! That looks out of this world.. we didn't do a glazed ham this year and that makes me completely hate myself for not.

Well done mate.

That's the first time I've made a ham although the process wasn't much different to the bacon I usually make. It was the best ham I've eaten in years. I'll definitely be making more hams.

Latest posts

Back