Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut all the excess fat off. Even better ask the butcher to remove skin and fat so your not paying for it (Unless you want to cook crackling separately)

You definitely do not want rind on either, try chewing the sole of a work boot, it'd taste the same as slow cooking rind.

When your meat internal temp gets to 90*c for pulled pork, remove and then cover with foil. I have removed it before 90*c a few times if it stalls and people are getting hungry, but I've never removed it under 80*c

I do all my smoking at 110*c.

I've never made pulled pork

77 degrees internal temp won't get you a pulled pork , it will fall off the bone and be moist but is don't think you will be able to shred it like pulled pork

Hell no, its meant to be moister then your first girlfriend.

You use shoulder as its full of internal fat which brings on the moisture after a long slow low cook. so yeh, only use shoulder cuts, and bone in is better.

For my first one, I left the fat on, and used a roasting grate over a pan with water and tropical juice. Cooked in the Webber with a snake. I added a rub overnight as well. Cooked it at low temps ( 110 I think ) til it hit 91c then foiled it and put it in an esky wrapped in towels. While it rested I made gravy from what was left in the water pan.

Only left it 45mins and it pulled easily and without the gravy was quite moist ( I hate dry meat ). I added a few tablespoons of the gravy and mixed it around. The fat cap I took off first and threw out.

Turned out awesome. Just finished it now :)

Must be some good stuff this pulled pork I'll give it a crack one day

Just boned butterflied a leg of lamb then stuffed butter garlic and a leek in the guts then rolled it up ready for tomorrow

No rub today but I'll spray it with a honey / beer mix towards the end

Or constantly ...... See how I feel

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1446688731.462075.jpg

mje1980 said:
Are those things bear claws??? Two forks works ok but not great
Yeah mate, got em for free when I bought my Maverick temp monitor. They make short work of shredding the meat.

As to process, forgive me for using Fahrenheit but I get most of my info from Americans and since my temp monitor is capable of both, I tend to do a lot in that system.

I smoke at 250F, I know some people swear by 225F but I'm cooking on a webber kettle and 250F is easier to maintain the way I do it (I don't do the snake method). At around 165F internal I'll pull it off and foil it before putting it back on the grill.

I take it off at 193-195F internal and pop it somewhere safe (oven, esky) for about 30 minutes to let it relax/finish cooking before shredding.

Pretty straight forward, made it a couple of times now. Always comes out tasting amazing.

Had another crack at pulled pork in the smoker with hickory chunks this time I basted with apple cider vinegar and wrapped in foil after about 6hrs.
It turned out much better keeping the moisture in. Next time I''ll go for 2hrs smoke 2 hrs unwrapped 4 hrs wrapped and basted.
Also chucked some pork spare ribs and chicken wings in for lunch, far out that was a tasty lunch, so easy & tasty !
IMG_5248.JPG
I put the wings in a tray as I didn't want them dropping juices on the pork

Samuel Adams said:
I put the wings in a tray as I didn't want them dropping juices on the pork
Why not? What is wrong with the delicious melding of pochirkcken?

Mmmmmm, pochirkcken :icon_drool2:

WarmerBeer said:
Why not? What is wrong with the delicious melding of pochirkcken?

Mmmmmm, pochirkcken :icon_drool2:
I'm always pretty careful with raw chicken, I guess it would've been fine without a tray.
They did get plenty of smoke flavour even on the tray though

How'd everyone's smokey Xmas go?

We served up;
Pulled pork (13hrs)
Smoked lamb leg
Smoked fish
Crispy skin Muscovy Duck
Crispy Skin Young Rooster
2kg Fresh King Prawns.

Plus the side dishes.

It was a struggle to fit the beer in, but after a swim in the creek we were good to go.

Even had AHB royalty in the form of Ducati Stu come out and join us (He brought the fish, and some terrible backyard cricket batting :) )

Sounds great, Shanous.

My streaky bacon with honey baste and Almond wood smoke was a roaring success for breakfast. No pics of that unfortunately, it was over so quickly !
The terrine was fantastic later in the day aswell. Duck and hare with pork force-meat. The pork had PX sherry-soaked raisins and dates mixed in with the onion,sage and rosemary additions. So tasty with my sweet all-spice, capsicum and tomato chutney.

image.jpg

shaunous said:
How'd everyone's smokey Xmas go?

We served up;
Pulled pork (13hrs)
Smoked lamb leg
Smoked fish
Crispy skin Muscovy Duck
Crispy Skin Young Rooster
2kg Fresh King Prawns.

Plus the side dishes.

It was a struggle to fit the beer in, but after a swim in the creek we were good to go.

Even had AHB royalty in the form of Ducati Stu come out and join us (He brought the fish, and some terrible backyard cricket batting :) )
Yes it was a good feed :).

The pulled pork and Mahogany sauce was fantastic. :icon_drool2:

The fish wasnt anything special, just covered in morrocan spice mix from Aldi and smoked for about 40 min. Nice and simple. Came it very nice :)

As for the cricket....well I am positive the bats where a lot bigger back when I played cricket in school... :ph34r:

Danwood said:
Sounds great, Shanous.

My streaky bacon with honey baste and Almond wood smoke was a roaring success for breakfast. No pics of that unfortunately, it was over so quickly !
The terrine was fantastic later in the day aswell. Duck and hare with pork force-meat. The pork had PX sherry-soaked raisins and dates mixed in with the onion,sage and rosemary additions. So tasty with my sweet all-spice, capsicum and tomato chutney.
Xmas at your place next year by the sound of that

After umming and ahhing for months, Christmas provided the ideal opportunity to smoke my first pork collars for pulled pork. I smoked 2 (about 2.2 kg each) on the Weber using the snake method. 3 chunks of Apple wood for flavour. Took 10 hours overnight then wrapped in the esky for a couple of hours until the guests were ready to eat. Ecstatic with results, everyone loved it.

After 3 hours:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451207075.248017.jpg

Pulled and ready for sandwiches:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451207217.976993.jpg

Cheers to all on here who have provided inspiration and information. I think I've found another hobby to go with brewing.

Back