Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LiquidGold said:
Impressive smoke ring and bacon wrapping on that fatty!
I showed the picture to a few others and they thought it wasn't cooked! Can't blame them really. Tasted damn good.

Mr B said:
Mmmm Damascus steel knife
I was over at a friends house so it was his knife. He bought it while in Japan a few weeks ago. $400 for a knife... You are right though. Damn sharp!

SBOB said:
got a dough recipe to share?
If you are using a stone then this eBook will be your best guide. It is another hobby in its self. Before you know it you will be building your own Wood fired oven.
In my WFO i use a very high hydration for all dough and add a little semolina to the dough.
Forno Bravo is the best pizza forum around. Taught me how to build the oven and then cook in it!
http://www.basalite.com/sites/default/files/library/pizza-stone-cooking.pdf
check it out
Beercus

SBOB said:
got a dough recipe to share?
Mate its so simple. I'm not a baker by any means and just use standard ingredients. You can use 00 flour or whatever but im all about KISS.

375ml warmish water
600G flour
Pinch of salt
Instant dry bread yeast

Load all ingredients into a mixer (i use a kitchen aid with dough hook, bread makers work well too) and knead for about 5 mins
Take dough out and put it in another bowl that you have wiped with olive oil
Let it rise for about 1 hour or until its doubled in size
knock back the dough and cut into 3 even balls
roll em out into pizza bases
load em up with toppings
cook

As i said some people use 00 flour, sourdough yeast starter and let it ferment for 48 hours. Ive got 2 hungry kids so im all about KISS.

Good Luck

Fents said:
im all about KISS
That's nice, Fents...not reeaaally relevant, but anyway...
image.jpg

Howdy guys, just bought one of these off gumtree for cheap and going to start reading through the thread. Hopefully it is not a dud. Quite excited I must say... I have been using my WeberQ thus far, but it seems to go a bit too hot and you can't smoke much in it at one time.

beercus said:
Those of you doing pizza should look into beer pizza dough. Basically the water is replaced with beer in the dough making process. You just have to make sure your beer is warm to activate the yeast.
Give it a go

Beercus
My mother in law started using beer in her bases and they definitely improved from using water. First time she tried it myself and the Mrs commented on the bases and she said the only thing she changed was the liquid so I have also been using beer to make mine since then.

This thread needs more pork.

2.5Kg pork shoulder, all dressed up and ready to party. He's on the Webber now, so I'll post the after shots tonight.

UUowbEj.jpg

I just did my first pulled pork yesterday. Ridiculously good, and so easy really.

Nom noms

Are those things bear claws??? Two forks works ok but not great

Pulled pork in the smoker questions;

Fat on or cut off ?
Basting ?
Cover with foil after a certain time ?

I have done one which was my first smoke and I cut the fat off and didn't cover or baste.
It tasted bloody awesome but was a bit dry (dry rubbed 2.5kg shoulder for about 10 hrs @ 105-110c)
I used to do mine in a slow cooker with a bit of liquid and I'm used to them being more......moist.

Cheers.

seamad said:
Ha that's the one I based my first smoke on, he states to trim most of the fat off which I did (I guess to let the smoke penetrate the meat more)
I always left the fat on in the slow cooker.

Cool, next time I'll leave the fat on and hopefully it will self baste while cooking.

Also forgot to ask what internal temp people aim for ?
From memory I took it out in the mid 80's

77 here

Hate dry pork, everytime I cook it people whinge that it's not the dry horrible shit like they like it

I use a meat thermometer and just get it to the pork/veal temp which is 77 so it's safe to eat despite what people tell me

They still eat it mind you , they just whinge

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1446679300.099612.jpg

Pork

I cut the rind off when I smoke pork and make scratchings with it

It's ok if you roast it but when you smoke it I think it sort of stops the smoke penetrating the meat under the rind and the rind never crackles properly at the low smoking temps

Back