Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice "grill". I spent some time in Texas when I went to the States. First night there given a home smoked Wild Boar sandwich. During the week they were getting some deer ready to smoke jerky with. Best chicken I've eaten came out of a warming oven that looked like an icecream freezer in this Servo somewhere outside San Antonio. Loved the food at their BBQ joints. And although not smoked meat (?), those Tex-mex platters are pretty bloody good. They certainly have perfected the art of smoking meat in the southern states.

And you're right. The people are overly friendly in the States when you get out to the "Real America".

Sweet Damn Smokey Goodness. Im cooking up a fatty this weekend, no holes barred, smoke and all.

Anyone in eastern suburbs melbourne (I'm in mitcham) have any recommendation for where to buy ribs, brisket and pork butt? Have wandered into a fair few butchers nearby without luck

Blind Dog said:
Anyone in eastern suburbs melbourne (I'm in mitcham) have any recommendation for where to buy ribs, brisket and pork butt? Have wandered into a fair few butchers nearby without luck
cant really help you out that way but if you ever get over to northside call scott at simply free range butchers in rosanna he will sort you out.

121 Lower Plenty Rd

Rosanna VIC 3084

(03) 9459 3310

Kosher butchers usually have brisket, but you may have to buy it whole. I used to get mine at Solomon in Glen Eira. Might skip asking about the pork butt though.
http://www.solomon.com.au/

Try the Vietnamese butchers on Victoria Street for anything and everything pork. Wanna serve your mates smoked butthole? You can get it on Victoria Street. (Serving suggestion: Like kids do with Cheezels)

The ones that do beef would likely get you a brisket, but you'd have to find a way to be perfectly clear about what you wanted. They have quite different ideas about how brisket is cut.

Vietnamese butchers can get you beef ribs. Some of the ones at Vic Market do baby back ribs but often cut off too much meat. There are a few at Box Hill Market too.

On the whole Asian butchers have long been my best source for whatever hard to find cuts I want. For example they often call short ribs Asado, and sell them at half the price.

I love the local wholesale serve yourself butcher. Was in there today and was drooling over whole chuck roasts, whole briskets ( bought a few of those :) ), and all manner of bulk dead animal.

Going to try hot smoking. First time so just grabbed some snags to see how the weber goes. If it goes ok, and so far everything I've tried has worked pretty good, I'll try to do my next lot of roast chickens hot smoked, or maybe beef ribs low n slow, or a chuck roast, or ......... :)

Doing my first roast chooks today. I've brined them overnight and will be adding some apricot/plum wood to the coals for a bit of smoky goodness. I may even smother one of the chickens in some of the smoky BBQ marinade I picked up at Coles the other day.

Love the weber, best shit ever

dog, I buy all my meat from the Preston market. Not sure if you have something similar out your way...

BRISKET: while the topic has come up, what do you ask your butcher for when you want an american style brisket. What do we call that cut of meat in OZ? is it a special cut that you need to pre-order?

I have looked around (maybe not that well!) and have not found a definitive answer.

I think you just look for a whole brisket. They're bloody huge, 5kg so you'll know.

Pork Butt = Pork Shoulder (Bone in) Any butcher can supply, they normally take the bone out so pre-order.
Beef ribs, same again, sold as Beef short rib or Asado. Normally cut in strips across the bone. Pre Order as a whole slab Normally 4 or so Kgs.
Briskett as a above. Trick is getting a US cut.

Keep an eye out for old oak/wine (half) barrells. Slice up the staves 10cm long for your smoke. Much cheaper than buying anything else. Plus goes well with any meat.

Ohhhh just found this thread!! Spent most of my life making cured and smoked meats. Love a good smoked brisket too.
If you live Sydney way, Pendle Hill is the best place to get any kind of meat you could ask for.
Some items are special order like pig ears, tongues and heads, but it's all available.

Just bought a whole pork shoulder and gonna smoke that tomorrow.
If anyone's interested in proper american pork belly bacon, I make a lot of that too and happy to share it on. It's cold smoked though.

Edit: Here's a whole half-brisket that's been cut, rubbed and ready for the smoker.

IMG_0254r.jpg

I will be picking your brain for the next 3 months haha

mje1980 said:
I will be picking your brain for the next 3 months haha
Go for it mate!! Everyone tells me I should open a restaurant and hide my recipes. I say to hell with that. I do it for the love of tradition and for friends and family.
There's nothing better than a brisket done right with a dark bark, red badge of honour and melting in your mouth. Marry it up on a plate with some Texas BBQ beans and southern potato salad.
Chase it down with a sun-struck Mexican lager and you get to experience a taste of heaven.

All you guys having trouble sourcing meat is a result of the butchery trade going to the pack like many others. Most butchers these days buy packaged meat from an abattoir and then sell or cut to size and sell. Not many hang full, half or quartered kills in the Coolroom these days that they can just cut bits off as customers ask (the 3 butchers I use in our little country town still hang beasts out back, not sure about the others in town).
It's easier for butchers to buy it this way from an abattoir, rather then get a buyer to source, slaughter and transport.
It's sad, especially for you lot having trouble.

I love just walking in an asking for whatever I need, I've never had to order a cut, and hope I don't, because that's ridiculous.

This is straight out of the MLA (Meat and Livestock Australia) handbook us meat farmers pay into. It's blown up and hanging on my kitchen wall :)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1441790105.893143.jpg

Tex N Oz said:
If anyone's interested in proper american pork belly bacon, I make a lot of that too and happy to share it on. It's cold smoked though..
Lordy, Lordy. It's just too difficult to find good "streaky bacon" here. It's as if the abomination which is short cut bacon has infected everyone's brains and they think streaky bacon should be as meaty as possible. No less than 50% fat please! My wife just made a very sexual gesture and said, "Yes, yes, yes!"

Tex N Oz said:
Ohhhh just found this thread!! Spent most of my life making cured and smoked meats. Love a good smoked brisket too.
If you live Sydney way, Pendle Hill is the best place to get any kind of meat you could ask for.
Some items are special order like pig ears, tongues and heads, but it's all available.

Just bought a whole pork shoulder and gonna smoke that tomorrow.
If anyone's interested in proper american pork belly bacon, I make a lot of that too and happy to share it on. It's cold smoked though.

Edit: Here's a whole half-brisket that's been cut, rubbed and ready for the smoker.
Where in Pendle Hill?

shaunous said:
All you guys having trouble sourcing meat is a result of the butchery trade going to the pack like many others. Most butchers these days buy packaged meat from an abattoir and then sell or cut to size and sell. Not many hang full, half or quartered kills in the Coolroom these days that they can just cut bits off as customers ask (the 3 butchers I use in our little country town still hang beasts out back, not sure about the others in town).
It's easier for butchers to buy it this way from an abattoir, rather then get a buyer to source, slaughter and transport.
It's sad, especially for you lot having trouble.

I love just walking in an asking for whatever I need, I've never had to order a cut, and hope I don't, because that's ridiculous.
Hay shaunous, I see you're in Grafton. I've recently moved to Grafton. Can you recommend a butcher?

Back