Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carniebrew said:
Cheers. The MiL has an enormous lemon tree in her back yard, are lemon prunings used much for smoking?
I don't think I have ever heard of them being used. You could give them a go and see though.

Update - google tells me they are used (from bbq.about.com) - Citrus woods like lemon or orange have a moderate smoke that gives a light fruity flavor that is more mild than apple or cherry.

Well there you go. Smoke away and let is know how it tastes.

Cheers
Dave

Just make sure it's thoroughly dried before using it as smoking wood. I thought it'd be pithy and noxious.

Anyone ever tried liquid smoke? I've always though it was some synthetic/chemical compound to smell and taste like a smoked product. Recently I saw a video where they made liquid smoke. Basically they burn some wood and catch the steam/smoke, running it through a condenser, resulting in a liquid smoke. I ordered a 500ml bottle from ebay, and wow it's strong and it tastes like real smoke. I'm already starting to line up the meals to try it out.

I have been making a bit of jerky, and I was thinking that liquid smoke would be just the thing.

I was thinking today about sourcing some different wood and clicked that one of my work mates owns a freaking orchard. Cherries, plum, peach, pear, apple!

I have some sucking up to do.

I use the gum tree that grows at the front of my house, run it through a chipper or just break up the twigs.

Ironbark is my fab smoking wood. I like an Australian flavour to my smoked meats.

jyo said:
I was thinking today about sourcing some different wood and clicked that one of my work mates owns a freaking orchard. Cherries, plum, peach, pear, apple!

I have some sucking up to do.
You can help him prune the orchard come winter.
I have a pair of felco 2s you can borrow and a crappy little McCulloch chipper you can have.

I'm doing 2 chickens and a duck on a webber today
First time I've ever smoked in one, hope i don't stuff it up...

Merry Xmas men. Got up early and filled the aldi smoker with wild pork leg, lamb shoulder and 're smoking the Xmas ham.
Yummo.

Bizier said:
You can help him prune the orchard come winter.
I have a pair of felco 2s you can borrow and a crappy little McCulloch chipper you can have.
Cheers for that, mate. The ball is rolling and I may have a supply of cherry, peach, nectarine and apple I can share with you. Will let you know.

Ok just done my first cook on an aldi smoker. 2kg lamb leg at 100-110c. Smoked for 3 hrs, total cook for 7 hours. It was up to 71c by 6 hours. Was hoping for falling off the bone but didn't happen. Anyway, very nice firm smoky flavour, very tender and very juicy. Winner!

Pork needs to go a lot higher for fall off the bone

Back