Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this might seem like an odd question,
But im going away for the weekend and they only have a bbq.
I was wondering if there was a good way to slow cook in a conventional gas bbq with the benefit of added smoke,
Im thinking using a foil tray with the hot charcoal in that, sitting next to the meats with the bbq lid closed?
could use the gas to moderate the temperature
thoughts?

Get a decent chunk of fruitwood and also add a waterpan . Should be able to set it on low gas and cook away. Don't keep checking on it though. Leave it alone for a few hours once you are happy the temp is between 110 and 120.

lespaul said:
this might seem like an odd question,
But im going away for the weekend and they only have a bbq.
I was wondering if there was a good way to slow cook in a conventional gas bbq with the benefit of added smoke,
Im thinking using a foil tray with the hot charcoal in that, sitting next to the meats with the bbq lid closed?
could use the gas to moderate the temperature
thoughts?
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/barbecued_pork_shoulder_on_a_gas_grill/

foil tray with a few heatbeads (i'd start with 6-8) fully lit would also suffice.

even better scour gumtree or ebay and go buy a second hand weber you will not regret it.

I do most of my smoking on the Standard BBQ using an Amaze-Smoker. I find 1 element on low in my 6 burner bbq keeps the opposite end at around 90oC, perfect for ribs etc....

Beercus

How ******* good is brining then smoking chicken? I did a few chooks like this not long ago and they were epic. I eat heaps of chicken breast, so cook a few batches during the week. I thought I'd brine some and see how it went. Faaaaaaark, super juicy and so much flavour.

If you have a Weber kettle get the rotisserie ring and spit.

Brine + smoke + rotisserie = mind blowing chicken or duck

Cheers

Great timing , my next wings are being brined . Taught by a master last week. 7:1:1. 7 parts water:1 part Salt:1 part Brown sugar for an hour. Smoke. Sorted.

I haven't brined chicken before. Sounds pretty good, y'all.

I'll do more bacon (belly with loin attached) and a load of chicken thighs in a big brining session next, I think.

Then smoke the whole lot, plus a fatty, with a load of Almond wood.

That's the menu for the next brew day sorted then. Just need to nail down a beer recipe.

Not lown n slow smoking per say, but pizza's last sat on the Akorn :

Kids Pizza
12109033_10153760677196834_6152583799549171175_n.jpg

Meatlovers
12109127_10153760677041834_3216263209249111722_n.jpg

Super happy with my own dough lately
12088493_10153760677081834_145554604088603014_n.jpg

Fresh Scallops, Garlic, EVOO an Cheese
11139978_10153760677101834_9138732952497694621_n.jpg

Looks sensational ! I'm hopeless with dough, otherwise I'd do heaps of pizza haha.

I tried smoking salmon the other day. Cured overnight then washed and wiped with rum. Smoked it for about 2 hours with Apple wood. Pretty much gone now

Had my first dip at smoking meat over the weekend. Cooked up a fatty with some chili, cheese, capsicum and mushrooms.
I was pretty surprised at how easy it was to build. i thought it would have been much harder to do and would want to fall apart.

unrolled.jpg
Rolled.jpg
in the smoker.jpg
smoked.jpg
Cut.jpg

If you don't need a shower after eating BBQ, you haven't done it correctly !

Good, messy work there, Alex.

Those of you doing pizza should look into beer pizza dough. Basically the water is replaced with beer in the dough making process. You just have to make sure your beer is warm to activate the yeast.
Give it a go

Beercus

Alex.Tas said:
Mmmm Damascus steel knife

I got a Tsuki (Tasuki?) one recently (sorry its 5-6m away to check the spelling).

Bloody awesome, so sharp and for so long.

Only cut off about a quarter of a nail accidentally so far.

I find dough is more about how you knead it and how you treat it.
For pizza I mix flour and water to 63% hydration. Can use some oil if you want it a bit more chewy. Can also add gluten so it is a little more crispy and chewy. Generally at 5% flour weight.
00 flour gives you a much finer dough, much nicer.
Knead, rise, make into pizza, rise, bake. Just takes practice to see how long to leave and knead etc
Not like you guys need another hobby right?

Latest posts

Back