Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cape Grim beef ribs in the Akorn :

12042652_10153723680216834_5260522107264771776_n.jpg

Fents said:
Cape Grim beef ribs in the Akorn :
FENTS: That looks amazing.... f$%k now i'm hungry! That's a decent amount of meat for a beef rib...

Melbourne Northern suburbs cant be to far from Eltham, ill be there soon....

Beercus

beercus said:
FENTS: That looks amazing.... f$%k now i'm hungry! That's a decent amount of meat for a beef rib...

Melbourne Northern suburbs cant be to far from Eltham, ill be there soon....

Beercus
Cheers mate, yea cape grim are the goods. Black Onyx beef heard good things about too but yet to try any.

Watsonia mate, just a drop punt away, welcome anytime ;)

Had a great smoke up for my brothers 30th about a month ago using a mates smoker, thought I'd share the only pic I managed to take...

Smoking Meat Sept 15.jpg

Also that fatty looks epic, definitely on my to do list.

LiquidGold said:
Had a great smoke up for my brothers 30th about a month ago using a mates smoker, thought I'd share the only pic I managed to take...

attachicon.gif
Smoking Meat Sept 15.jpg

Also that fatty looks epic, definitely on my to do list.
What did you cook for the other people there?

Looks like an offset smoker. Saw one at the Big Green Shed not long ago. Had a feel and a play and wasn't as tinny as I expected. Not absolute quality but probably worth $325 including the offset. No affiliation ra, ra, ra. Sent a pic to my mate and he reckoned to take it home as I deserved it. How would my UDS feel though? It loves me. So I explained to the offset it was just a fling. Then it was an upset smoker.

The others got salad :D

Yeah it's an offset smoker called Landmann, works a treat. Those cheese stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon were so good after being smoked for 4 hours.

LiquidGold said:
The others got salad :D

Yeah it's an offset smoker called Landmann, works a treat. Those cheese stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon were so good after being smoked for 4 hours.
Jalapeño Poppers are "The Shit".

Got stuck into my first smoke on the weekend. Went to the butcher and asked for pork ribs. He told me those were American and they didn't have them. Pointed me to some ribs that were shaved down to the bone in the freezer... Looked horrible. Asked several follow up questions confirming that pigs here don't have ribs but got nothing... Got a pork belly instead

Edit: Oh and by the way ended up amazing... Would have taken photos but forgot and there was none left after having people over. Probably a good sign. New addiction game on

LiquidGold said:

attachicon.gif
Smoking Meat Sept 15.jpg

Also that fatty looks epic, definitely on my to do list. Yes, they're epic alright
I'll give you my details so you can send me an invite next time. Looks amazing.

lespaul said:
Got stuck into my first smoke on the weekend. Went to the butcher and asked for pork ribs. He told me those were American and they didn't have them. Pointed me to some ribs that were shaved down to the bone in the freezer... Looked horrible. Asked several follow up questions confirming that pigs here don't have ribs but got nothing... Got a pork belly instead

Edit: Oh and by the way ended up amazing... Would have taken photos but forgot and there was none left after having people over. Probably a good sign. New addiction game on
Your butcher is sort of right but sort of not. Obv all pigs have ribs. Just that american pigs are grown huge compared to ours. You will never get the same 'meaty' pork ribs as America here. And over here they are bloody $20KG minimum, its an absolute rip off.

If you want meaty pork ribs ask for a full pork belly with ribs on, then you can cut the Belly out yourself and leave as much meat on the ribs as you like. You will pay for it tho $$$$!

If you want meaty ribs then beef ribs are the go. You can get Cape grim for approx $15/KG from most butchers.

Although my local butcher still get in a carcass and butchers it properly so he does his beef ribs for $10KG but they arnt as neat looking as Cape Grim products.

Thats whats pissing me off about smooking at the moment all the "CHEAP" cuts that low n slow turn into a good feed, butchers have cottoned on and charge a fortune for it. Brisket, Pork Ribs they are all a rip off. These all started out as cheap cuts like lamb shanks once upon a time.

If y'all were a little closer I'd help you out a little :)

Anything I get butchered is $1kg to do. So my last lamb that weight a whopping 27kg cost me a whopping $27 to have butchered, sorted, packed and straight into the freezer. :D

I did my first overnight pulled pork the other week. Started it too early, so it was probably done when I was asleep, but other than a little dry, man it was great.

Next time I'll stare it late at night, then check in the morning.

Which thermometer do you guys use???

shaunous said:
If y'all were a little closer I'd help you out a little :)

Anything I get butchered is $1kg to do. So my last lamb that weight a whopping 27kg cost me a whopping $27 to have butchered, sorted, packed and straight into the freezer. :D
Lamb flaps and lamb shoulder!!!! :icon_drool2: :ph34r:

seamad said:
I have the Maverick remote one, has 2 probes ( meat and bbq), #733 I think
ET-733_black_web.jpg

Cheers guys, be handy to have one of those!

Latest posts

Back