Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dinner tonight.

IMG-20150913-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20150913-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20150913-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20150913-WA0010.jpeg

Mr B said:
Ahhh FFS

I am preparing to make a better brew rig, and I have discovered smokers.

A mate brought some smoked products to a bbq recently, and from that I realized that the Aldi smokers were on sale a week later.

Went to check them out on the Monday morning, thinking its all ok, i'll just have a little look.

There were three left.

That afternoon, I was committed.

4pm, all sold out. Calls to the national center revealed no chance.
I was keen on getting an Aldi smoker but I had to work Sat so only got to Aldi on the Sun to find all the smokers sold out at all the stores I checked.
What the hell, I blame this thread for the demand !!

Also I'm really surprised at the lack of any for sale second hand.
You can get a new Hark one for $330 on ebay instead of the Coolabah branded Aldi ones for $200, I just can't swallow that, I'm a cheap ******* !

Samuel Adams said:
I was keen on getting an Aldi smoker but I had to work Sat so only got to Aldi on the Sun to find all the smokers sold out at all the stores I checked.

You can get a new Hark one for $330 on ebay instead of the Coolabah branded Aldi ones for $200, I just can't swallow that, I'm a cheap ******* !
Yeah, I must confess to being the same.

However, I also don't mind a bit of DIY, so the research continues into the smoker build..cause you make a cheap copy of the expensive ones.....

Mmmmm Pid controlled gas smoker........ maybe recirculated,,,Mmmmmmmm.......

So many options

Samuel Adams said:

Got em here in Baulkham Hills nsw today.

IMG_0478.JPG

I remember years ago I paid $150 for mine. ALDI have found plenty want them obviously.

Lots of stores did clearances of these for $100 last year. Might happen again this year....

Might not.

Yeah, I have to admit I've got 2 of them sitting in the backyard I've had for 3 years. They are cheap and fairly well made. Definitely good enough that I've smoked hundreds of kilos of meat in them and still going strong. Actually they show very little wear at all. Blast em out with a pressure washer once in a while to keep them decent.
Drilled a hole in the side for my cold smoke generator. Tops..

Mr B said:
Mmmmm Pid controlled gas smoker........ maybe recirculated,,,Mmmmmmmm.......
I was reading about these guys with Ugly drum Smokers hooking up something similar to a stc-1000. They had fans on the inlets and when the temp dropped, the fans blew air to the coals to heat it up and then turned them off at the correct temp. Ingenious.

Just make sure you don't over-smoke the meat. I add once. HIckory, pecan and mesquite can be over-powering and bitter if you go to hard.

23i767n.jpg

Hopefully done in around 20hrs :). Just one small chunk of aprium. Just a little bit.

I had to do a google on 'aprium'. Sounds good.

always wondered how they coem up with the hybrid name. I kind of prepfer Plupricot...

does sound nice though

what's the smoker? Looks like a kettle but difficult to tell

glad im finding so many old AHB crew now on aussiebbqforum and aussiepitmasters etc.

My current dilemma is this. I promised I wouldn't use smoking chunks for this. Mrs is a bit over me smoking everything. I slipped a little chunk in thinking it'd be gone before she got home. Genius I know but I left the back door open and the house smells awesome. I lit a candle and sprayed Glenn 20 but I'm probably busted haha.

Might put some cider in the fridge

mje1980 said:
23i767n.jpg

Hopefully done in around 20hrs :). Just one small chunk of aprium. Just a little bit.
Haha, I know that particular photo.

Did you end up taking my advice?

I ended up leaving it mate, it was too big. If I turned it, the back end would be right over the coals, unless I moved the meat itself, which I wasn't game to do.

Doesn't really matter, the snake burnt out overnight! Checked it half hour ago and it was cold!. Got the oven on at 100c. Hopefully it's not leather haha. I added a water pan so it hopefully isn't dry as a bone.

I think I should've left the vents right open, though it looks like it actually burn out completely.

Latest posts

Back