• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Smokey Dry Stout

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

scrumpy

Reaction score
evening all, i'm after some critique on this recipe. i've been planning a dry stout for the weekend and have a heap of smoke malt left...
thought this might work.

ive used a classic dry stout recipe of 70% pale 20% flaked barley and 10% roast barley, but subbed 10% of the pale
malt for the smoke...

Im unsure how many ibu to shoot for, i dont want the bitterness to fight any smokey character in the beer, although i probably wont get too much smoke with just 10% in the grist.
was thinking 30???

60% Pale malt
20% flaked barley
10% smoked malt
10% Roast barley

US05

thanks.

mikesnothere

Reaction score
Im unsure how many ibu to shoot for, i dont want the bitterness to fight any smokey character in the beer.
You'll need a bit. At that colour, your roast is really dominating. BJCP style guidelines for a dry stout indicate 30-45 IBU, and I wouldn't disagree. Just avoid late hoping (obviously).

Latest posts