Smokey Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verynewtohomebrew

Reaction score
Hello all

I have a quick question I have just tasted one of my recently bottled beers (Probably a little early but I couldnt wait!!).

Now when I tasted the wort at bottling time it had a nice flavor but now after 2 weeks in the bottle it has taken on a slightly what can only be describred as a smokey taste its only slight but it can be picked and was after much discussion between myself and two mates as smokey nice but smokey.

The beer is a simple coopers larger with hallertau and saaz bags racked then bottled but not bulk primed!

Any ideas on what this may be caused by will be much appreciated. ;)

hmm. maybe you dropped half the bacon sanger in there from breakfast.
seriously though i have no idea.
for some reason when i invite mates over they want to roar up a fire outside.
i have to lie and say sorry no wood. real reason being i don't want all that stuff falling in my wort.
Once the little buggers ripped down my shed door and started a fire with that while i was passed out half way though a brew.
i awoke when the alarm went of for last minute hops etc to find my brew space filled with ashes. still it was no probs.
sorry a little brew story but no help.

cheers jayse.
maybe the little jovial religious man can help here.

Mental note to self do not eat bacon "sanger" whilst brewing beer

Yeah I have no idea as to what causes it but the beer still tastes ok

I thought that maybe it could be the onset of an infection Ive heard of people saying that their beer has a vegemite taste to it but I cant remember what caused it or if it was a deliberate thing!

Anyway it hasnt killed me yet so ill continue to drink it

Cheers

Mike

B)

the vegemite isn't a infection.
thats called autolyis which comes from the yeast 'eating itself and spilling its guts out'

i like vegemite but maybe leave it to toast.
anyway for this to happen the beer needs to remain sitting on the yeast cake for sometime at warmer temps.

cheers
slanty eyed jayse
its 3am chinese eyes.

Back