Smoked Rye Porter Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will88

Reaction score
I've been planning to do a smoked rye porter for the better part of a year and have finally found myself in a position to do it. After reading around on AHB I have most of a recipe in mind but I'd definitely appreciate any wisdom that some of the more experienced brewers could offer. Here's what I have so far:

19L batch

Grain
2.5kg Marris otter pale
1kg Wey smoked
1kg Wey rye
0.200kg Wey caramel rye

Hops
20g East Kent Goldings @ 60min
20g Tettnang @ 10min

At this point I realise I need to get the EBC up to get this beer looking darker, I'm just a little unsure what I should use and in what quantity that will work well with this grain lineup so far.

Yeast is the other thing that has me a little stumped. I don't want something producing too many esters as I want to let the spicness of the rye shine through. I was thinking some kind of English ale yeast and am open to suggestions as to what would work best.

Cheers,

Will.

Carafa special is gorgeous in a porter, or if you want to stick with the rye theme, use chocolate rye.

A neutral english ale yeast like WY1028 would work fine if you don't want too many esters. No reason you couldn't use an american ale yeast like WY1056.

Carafa special is gorgeous in a porter, or if you want to stick with the rye theme, use chocolate rye.

A neutral english ale yeast like WY1028 would work fine if you don't want too many esters. No reason you couldn't use an american ale yeast like WY1056.
Yep, what he said. Carafa Sp II and us05 or 1272 (american but is awesome for delivering nice maltiness. and go the 3 rye specs, each a slight different variant, helping for that layered slick/spicyness.

Thanks guys.

I decided to add 250g of carafa special II & 250g choc rye to get the colour right up there. Will give US05 a shot and see how it turns out.

Back