Smoke Ale Or Lager Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanj

Reaction score
Last year I went to the Sail & Anchor brewpub in Fremantle, WA and they had on tap a smoke ale or lager (I can't remember then name of it) but it had a real smoky taste that I really liked.

Has anybody got a recipe and directions on how to brew at beer like this at home?

Thanks in advance

for a smoked beer it must at least be a partilal mash or all grain beer but i do know the recipe of a famous sa brew

well jaz
spill the smoked grains then and let us all know the famous sa recipe.

cheers
big d

I've been known to spill some grains in my time...

Smokin' GT (Grumpy Thomas' recipe aka tdh)

50% Vienna
16.7% Dark Munich
16.7% Pilsner
16.7% Rauch
Northern Brewer @ 60 mins to 30 IBU
OG 1.055
Wyeasts: 2278 Czech Pilsner OR 1338 European Ale OR 1007 German Ale

ah yes

GT's famous SMOKIN GT

I have made a lot of smoked beers in the last year, i love em.

Some have been good some have been shit but the SMOKIN GT is the best bloody smoked beer i have made.

I made it like this, and i believe this was GT's origional recipe

66% vienna or light munich malt
16.5% pils malt
16.5% german smoked malt

about 25 to 29 IBU is good, all hallertauer or other moble hop in the boil for 60 min

I brewed it with 2006 but i recon most good german lager yeasts that give a malty finish would be good. Im going to do it again one day with WLP833 german bock. Oh man i love that yeast.

cheers

Which brand of rauchmalt are you guys using? I recently brewed a batch using 50% Hoepfner rauch, and whilst it's reasonably smoky, Schlenkerla Mrzen blew it out of the water in terms of smokiness in a side-by-side comparison.

Next time I brew it I'm thinking I'll go 80-99%, and you guys only have 17%!

Malnourished said:
Which brand of rauchmalt are you guys using? I recently brewed a batch using 50% Hoepfner rauch, and whilst it's reasonably smoky, Schlenkerla Mrzen blew it out of the water in terms of smokiness in a side-by-side comparison.

Next time I brew it I'm thinking I'll go 80-99%, and you guys only have 17%!
[post="88439"][/post]​

I have tried the Hoepfner rauchmalz and as you say it doesnt give the bacon taste that is in Schlenkerla despite them both being from Bamburg. I dont reckon its the same malt.

Guest Lurker said:
I have tried the Hoepfner rauchmalz and as you say it doesnt give the bacon taste that is in Schlenkerla despite them both being from Bamburg. I dont reckon its the same malt.
[post="88473"][/post]​
It's definitely not the same malt, Schlenkerla smokes their own and Hoepfner is in Karlsruhe. :) I think you are confusing Hoepfner with Weyermann.

I might have to have a crack at smoking my own. Can you even get beechwood in Australia?

my smoky i did i used the danstar nottigham

Two smoke beer questions...

What % rauchmalt would you estimate is in the the Schlenkerla beers?

Secondly, is there any great problem making an ale with rauchmalt? I'm guessing the fermentation temp needs to be controlled so there's fewer esters competing with the smoke flavour.

cheers

Kev

I have made a couple of smoked porters. Less esters and reduce the bitterness a bit. American ale yeast (US05, WLP001 Wy 1056), but I have found WLP004 Irish quite good. Must make another one soon. Still have a half keg of rauchbier.

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that they use 100% rauch malt, and that it might be tailored to their needs.

Two smoke beer questions...

Secondly, is there any great problem making an ale with rauchmalt? I'm guessing the fermentation temp needs to be controlled so there's fewer esters competing with the smoke flavour.

cheers

Kev

Gidday Kev, here is a smoked ale I brewed last year that I was reasonably happy with. It's best drunk fresh though in my opinion and you could even go with a larger percentage of smoked malt if you desire.

Smoked Ale
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Volume: 30.33 L Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.72 kg JWM Export Pilsner (4 EBC) Grain 33.5 %
1.72 kg Weyermann Vienna (8 EBC) Grain 33.5 %
1.60 kg Weyermann Smoked (4 EBC) Grain 31.1 %
0.10 kg Weyermann Carafa Special I (950 EBC) Grain 1.9 %
12.00 gm Magnum [13.5%] (60 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
30.00 gm Hallertauer [2.5%] (15 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
1 Pkgs European Ale (Wyeast Labs #1338) Yeast-Ale

Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 25 EBC
Bitterness: 23.7 IBU

I currently have a Rauchbier on tap that was brewed as a lager using 52% Weyermann Rauch malt. It is smokey but again for my tastes next time I will go higher with the smoked malt.

C&B
TDA

QUOTE (kevo @ Oct 29 2009, 10:16 PM)

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that they use 100% rauch malt, and that it might be tailored to their needs.

I had thought this too, but for a marzen and Hefe, they'd surely need some other grains in there too? I had a schlenkerla marzen on the weekend :icon_drool2: and it was fantastic, but I'm certain I could taste more than just the smoke going on - there was other malt sweetness there for me which I'm not sure wuld have come from a base malt.

Or do they smoke every malt they use?

What else do they make? Hefe and a bock?

Either they pack the mash tun or their malt is well smokey to start with?

Kev

Tried a smoked proter for the first time last night, amazing, just delicious.

Will definitely be making something smokey in the forseeable...

I had haandbryggeriet smoke without fire recently and it's inspired me to do my first smoke beer.

Before I take the leap I was wondering what others had tried and enjoyed with smoked beers.

The old Smoking GT sounds good as does a smoked mild on the weyermann website that I was thinking to adapt a little to approximately;
3% roast wheat
8% caramunich III
25% smoked malt
64% Vienna
OG 1040 IBU 22 Mash @ 66

Anywho what are others thoughts, what works well in a smoked ale?

I have a rauchbier on tap at the moment, used a lager yeast and lagered for 4 months but no reason you couldn't use an ale yeast.

Kept it nice and simple.

OG 1.056
FG 1.014
ABV 6.0%
Best Smoked Malt 44 %
Wey Munich II 54 %
TF Chocolate Malt 2 %
Magnum @ 60 to 26 IBU

Even after 4 months lagering its nice and smoky, reminiscent of bacon or a pork hock.

I have a rauchbier on tap at the moment, used a lager yeast and lagered for 4 months but no reason you couldn't use an ale yeast.

Kept it nice and simple.

OG 1.056
FG 1.014
ABV 6.0%
Best Smoked Malt 44 %
Wey Munich II 54 %
TF Chocolate Malt 2 %
Magnum @ 60 to 26 IBU

Even after 4 months lagering its nice and smoky, reminiscent of bacon or a pork hock.

Cheers Dr S
'best' is the type of smoke malt I have too. I was wondering whether there was much difference in the smoke strength between different maltsters so your recipe is very helpful.
Previously to my recent interest in going rauch my only taste of a smoked beer was a case swap sample that Linz shared with me and I felt the smoke was way to heavy, so I'm figuring getting the smoke balance right is going to be the biggest challenge

Back