Smelly Old Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
Last night a friend came over to brew with me. Now this guy had been brewing up to about 12 months ago but he stopped brewing after a couple of infections.
I had given him some EKG and Fuggles hop pellets sometime ago which he stored in his fridge (not freezer).
So I asked him to bring them up so we could use them in last nights brew. On smelling the contents (stored in ziplock Glad bags) they had an aroma of paint :huh: ! Now I had some of these same hops stored in the freezer for 12 months and finished using them at the beginning of this year and mine had no paint tin aromas.
So the moral of this story IMHO is to store your hops in the freezer.

Has anyone else noticed that type of aroma in their hops?

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Last night a friend came over to brew with me. Now this guy had been brewing up to about 12 months ago but he stopped brewing after a couple of infections.
I had given him some EKG and Fuggles hop pellets sometime ago which he stored in his fridge (not freezer).
So I asked him to bring them up so we could use them in last nights brew. On smelling the contents (stored in ziplock Glad bags) they had an aroma of paint :huh: ! Now I had some of these same hops stored in the freezer for 12 months and finished using them at the beginning of this year and mine had no paint tin aromas.
So the moral of this story IMHO is to store your hops in the freezer.

Has anyone else noticed that type of aroma in their hops?

C&B
TDA
TDA,
Did you have yours in Zip-lock bags too?

Mark,
Probably another HB myth. I recall seeing that hop suppliers recommend storing hops at as close to zero degree C without freezing. Apparently freezing creates crystals that rupture the lupin glands and that effects the storability of the hops. Maybe your friends fridge is running at 12 or so degrees.
FWIW, I store my hope in my lagering/serving fridge that is set at 2 degree C.
I haven't noticed any discernable "paint" odours.
cheers
Darren

Haven't painted your fridge lately I suppose?

Latest posts

Back