Smells Like Apple Pie Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helles

Reaction score
This smelt great while cooking it up this afternoon
Never made a cider let alone this one
A mix of 3-4 different recipes i have been looking at

21Lt Apple juice (just juice )
1Kg of honey
2 cups of brown sugar
juice of one lemon (i read somewhere use to add the tartness you can only get fresh pressed apples)
3 tsp vanilla bean extract
2 cinnamon sticks
.5 tsp yeast nutrient
1pkt Nottingham yeast

Took 3 lts of apple juice Boiled to reduce by half
Added cinnamon and vanilla for last 10 min of boil
Added honey for 1 min or until it almost came back to the boil

Also took 2 cups of brown sugar and 2 cups of water
Boiled and reduced by half Added lemon juice and yeast nutrient for last 5 min
Became a thin syrup when cooled

Pour the rest of apple juice into FV add boiled juice and sugar syrup
OG came out at 1070 :icon_drunk: :party:
Came out at just under 21 LT

Cant wait to try this one
Already tastes and smells like Hot Apple Pie

That sounds amazing. Just showed the boss this post and she looks impressed :icon_cheers:

just bear in mind cider takes much longer than beer to become mature

it also attenuates more than beer, so you may end up with a 10% skullcrusher.

Put this down this afternoon, and got an OG of 1064. Thinking of testing in 2 weeks...

It does smell fantastic by the way. Lots of honey coming through

Had a look tonight, still has a bit of yeast on top, but has come down to about 1004 tonight, still a LOT of yeast floating about. Can really taste the yeast, lemon and honey at this point. Would really love the cinnamon and vanilla to come through more.

Still early days

lmao

I'm doing another one of my cider in bottle in fridge door ciders and it's yummy out of the bottle, straight off the 'lees'. I'd drink it by the time the bottle is done fermenting.

Bottled cider does continue to age and transform, all depends on what went in (no, not a combination of simple sugars doesn't count although honey is a funny one). And the yeast, of course. Not much cider under my belt to comment on the yeast but the juice/must profile has a big effect on suitability to age.

Checked mine today OG 1012
Im getting the lemon and just a touch of spice and a hit of alcohol at the end :icon_drunk:
Going to boil up some more cinnamon and vanilla and add the liquid to FV
Needs more spice

Why not just spice into the keg/bottling bucket? The yeast isn't going to do anything good to the spices, is it?

Why not make a tincture for the spices (soak the spices in vodka) and then you can add the exact amount you want (usually at bottling/kegging time), tasting as you go.

Why not make a tincture for the spices (soak the spices in vodka) and then you can add the exact amount you want (usually at bottling/kegging time), tasting as you go.

Already boiled the spices earlier today
But yer sounds like a good idea
Will be kegging the lot
Will keep that in mind

I'm no cider expert :icon_cheers: but wouldn't boiling the apple juice set pectins. That would explain the cloudy look to a cider already down to 1.004? Boiling it with acid (lemon juice) even more so (thinks back to jam making days?) Spiced Apple Pie Jam Cider.

If you're kegging you can just drop the temperature to stop fermentation when its dry enough and keg it/keep cool. It'll stop it getting too dry (if there is such a thing with cider) :D

Cloves make anything taste like apple pie - even cigarettes.

Back