SmasheD

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyrebird_Cycles

Reaction score
I'm sure this is old hat to many of you but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Enjoying the Golden Promise / Challenger SMaSH from a couple of weeks ago, it occurred to me that it would be close to the ideal base for comparing dry hop profiles. Tried it out with a 1 g/l addition of Nelson Sauvin and it looks good.

I'm thinking that for the next batch I do I could split it several ways and try a few of the newer varieties with which I'm not familiar.

Since they'll be SMaSH + extra Dry hop I figured SmasheD would be a good name for them.

I like it. I've got a run of SMaSH/SMaSHeD brews lined up in the new year. Some of my best beers have been SMaSH. In particular the last lager I brewed with 100% Gladfield light lager malt, and a Viennarillo SMaSH.

As newbie I am but having a clue.
My next SMASH Ale will be Powells Malt (local Maltsters) with any selection of my home grown Hops. :chug:

Would briess pale ale be alright for doing a SMaSH? I haven't yet tried a SMaSH yet and have a few varieties of hops, I haven't tried, I'd like to get the feel for.

How far can we stretch this... SMaSMaSHeD.

Single malt and spec malt and single hop +extra dry hop.

(Pretend you're an excited 4 yr old crashing matchbox cars together when you say it to yourself, ha ha ha!)

I reckon simple grain/hop bills make the best beers...

manticle said:
I like the fact that you like challenger
My thanks to all who changed my mind on this, it's a terrific hop. Anyone know if rhizomes are ever available in Aus?

Yeah, the question was for next year, most of my bines are at or near the top of the trellis already (said trellis is 5.5 metres tall).

My most recent brew was a hoppy dark mild (is that a thing?) for my wife whose favourite "commercial" beers ATM are Bridge Road's Little Bling and JS Porter. It was brewed with Challenger and Styrian Goldings and although not finished yet I'm inclined to agree with you.

BTW do you know of a source of Styrian Aurora pellets in Aus? The only ones I could find online are >5 years old.

Unfortunately no - I tend to use the low alpha styrian variety only. You might try some of the overseas distributors if you have no luck here with more recent crops.

Brownsworthy said:
Would briess pale ale be alright for doing a SMaSH? I haven't yet tried a SMaSH yet and have a few varieties of hops, I haven't tried, I'd like to get the feel for.
Yes

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
My thanks to all who changed my mind on this, it's a terrific hop. Anyone know if rhizomes are ever available in Aus?
Challenger is an awesome hop. Particularly in Golden Promise or Maris Otter. It's featured heavily in my recent English bitters and English IPAs. Thankfully I've got a good stock of it in the fridge. Yum.

Another Challenger lover here. Ran out a few UK batches ago.

Currently SMASHish I've got an aussie lager. Dead simple. 90% Schooner Malt, 10% dirty simple cane sugar. Cluster in boil and flavour to .5 BU/SG. Now here is the part I love the most: yeast flavour. Pitched 11L on coopers commercial strain and was very similar to coopers and quiet enjoyable. The rest went to Wy2042 danish lager @13C and its a dead set Carlton clone. The yeast gives it that twang flavour and aroma. Will be looking out for this grain again for a summer keg filler late next year.

Interesting. I've just cubed a SMaSHish ordinary bitter with the intention of dry hopping with a second hop.

Recipe is roughly:
  • Gladfield ale 95%
  • Gladfield toffee 5%
  • Magnum FWH to 10ibu
  • Whirlpool and cube additions of EKG to 30ibu
  • Will use S04 at low temp
Any suggestion for a new world hop that pairs well with EKG?

Latest posts

Back