SMaSH Combinations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used a citra single hop and tried the result today and it tasted like the Serria Nevada Torpedo. Really recommend this hops if u want to smash! Not wasting it all all as it works well for bittering.

I've been on a bit of a jag this year with SMaSH beers. The best of the recent combinations has been:
- Munich I + Mosaic + US-05 fermented cool
- Maris Otter + Fuggles + US-05 fermented cool (roughly styled as an English Special Bitter)
- Pilsner + Hersbrucker + S23, four weeks in the primary at very low temperatures out in the coolstore.

Munich & Mosaic has been the real surprise packet. Delicious combination.

There's a Munich I + Glacier + M44 US West Coast ale yeast fermenting at the moment which is looking good.

I've just done a Vienna + Glacier + WPL039 East Midlands Ale. Fermented fairly cool.

Turned out quite nice, good amber colour, very drinkable, pretty decent session beer. I think my brother and I probably polished of half the keg over a long weekend.

Munich + Amarillo + Wy1332. Used a different yeast on this bad boy, last time it was 1272. Must say the 1332 throws a great flavour fermented cool

Would probably turn out great with the Vienna

Just made a Munich I + Spalt + s23 SMaSH. Not exactly an Altbier, but keen to get a handle on Spalt as a hop before my next crack at an Alt.

I am drinking a Maris otter citra and it is awesome I have a mo ans wiamea bottled today looking forward to that as well

Pils + Pacific Gem (lots of late additions)
Trappist High Gravity
OG 1.076
FG 1.010
AMAZING

I've also got a marris otter and citra smash keg sitting at home. 1.046 and 30IBUs with equal additions at 40, 20 and flameout.

It's an easy drinker that would be perfect for summer. Going to use it as a base to build upon.

I have tried a few differetn SMaSHes thast all turn out well.

Vienna Cascade
Vienna Vic Secret
MO Tett. This one was a big hit with so many friends it really surprised me. Very clean beer.

StalkingWilbur said:
I've also got a marris otter and citra smash keg sitting at home. 1.046 and 30IBUs with equal additions at 40, 20 and flameout.

It's an easy drinker that would be perfect for summer. Going to use it as a base to build upon.
A Maris-Citra is definately on my list (which seems to be growing each time I look at a recipe thread).

Currently crashing a mash hopped Maris-Columbus SMaSH (1.055 / 30 IBU). Aside from the mash hops, mine was a single bittering addition @ 90. And no, it wasn't meant to be that long, I had brew day problems... Luckily a longer boil doesn't affect a single early bittering addition too much :)

Tastes good so far; dry, (slightly) piney and clean, but missing the fruitiness that Citra would have delivered. Bottling on Sunday if I'm not too hung over from Yob's.

Mash hopped smash... MashSMaSH?

I did a run of SMASHs in the recent past but usually couldn't resist an extra hop so I call 'em SMA2Hs (don't ask how to pronounce that) . Fortunately I brew as I cook - with what's available. With this approach I have discovered that it's really hard to bugger it up. I've used JW Export pils, Golden Promise, JW Trad Ale and Maris Otter to make single malt beers and they've all been enjoyable. Some were better than others but not so great that I've committed them to memory. I would've (knowing me) used Galaxy for the bittering and thrown some flameout cascade, Chinook or Citra at it.

For some reason I never seem to have any spec malts lying around unless it is the obligatory bag of Medium Crystal….

I've made a few;

Pils/Hallertau - Lager

Munich/Cascade - APA

Munich/Mosaic - APA

MO/Styrians - Bitter

MO/EKG - Mild

Enjoyed them all for various reasons, although the Mosaic/Munich still in the cube at the moment and will begin fermenting next week.

I brewed a SMaSH a couple of months ago - went with Best Vienna and Simcoe. 40 IBU, a fair amount of late hopping and US-05.

Came out really well. The only thing I would change next time would be to lower the IBU to 30-35 as it was just a little much without spec malts to compensate.

How long did the mash take with the Vienna , how was your mash efficiency ? My have been a fib, but Got told Vienna didn't have enough of the the diastatic enzyme to pull of a smash.

Not a true smash but last night we cracked open a keg of perle & 280g crystal with just a 10min 80g addition of falconers flight. Pretty nice drinking. Next time I will throw in a little more ibu and dry hop.

Back