Smash brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodspuds23

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what a SMaSH beer would be classified as in terms of...lager or ipa etc...
I'm new to brewing and I'm trying to figure out all that stuff..cheers....

It depends on what base malt you choose and what and how much of what hop as well as yeast.
The most straight forward smash can be brewed as an APA so you can get an idea of the flavour of the hop you are using.
You could also brew a smash lager with some pilsner malt and a bit of bittering hops.

As Frothy says, it will mainly depend on yeast. For example, I regularly do a SMaSH using Vienna as a base malt but use citra or mosaic as the accompanying hop. I use US05 and classify it as an APA.
I have also done a lager SMaSH using pilsner malt and saaz hops with S189 yeast. All delicious beers.

Thanks mate to date I have used Maris otter and gladfields with Amarillo and Maris otter with falconers flight using us 05 and West coast m44 ...
As Frothy says, it will mainly depend on yeast. For example, I regularly do a SMaSH using Vienna as a base malt but use citra or mosaic as the accompanying hop. I use US05 and classify it as an APA.
I have also done a lager SMaSH using pilsner malt and saaz hops with S189 yeast. All delicious beers.

Back