Smash Ales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJH

Reaction score
Hi, when I have a beer I cant tell what malt /hops there are in it and it dos,nt help when I try and make a recipe .So to fix this I have decided to experiment with Smashes use a single malt Marris Otter seems to be the most common where I am, and try a different hop each brew. ButI don't want to end up with 23ltr of something I don't like or even worse something I cant drink

I have decided to do 12ltr batches and if it tastes like shit no great loss, I have a Robobrew v3 and they don't have the halve overflow pipe like the Grainfather doe,s that make a difference ? also is all I have to do is halve the recipe to get 12 ltr anyone else tried this.

While yes, you can simply halve a recipe, and it "should" work, I'd recommend using your preferred brewing calculator as a backstop.

I wouldn't worry about the short pipework like the Grainfather (I own a Grainfather). Over the last 20 odd brews I have stopped using the top screen for mash reticulation and haven't had any problems. I use enough silicone hose to circle on top of the grain bed (both small and normal 20L+ batches) to stop boring. This hasn't affected my efficiency at all.

Sometimes you may have to adjust the hops when halving a grain bill, as the good captain says use a brewing calculator, there are some free ones or the site sponsor Brewers Friend, might be a good idea if Admin gave a few away for the best novice posts. I believe its about $25 per year from memory..

While yes, you can simply halve a recipe, and it "should" work, I'd recommend using your preferred brewing calculator as a backstop.
+1

Its also a great way to keep track of your brews. I like Beersmith but there's also online ones like Brewers Friend.

I really do like the idea of giving away the Brewers Friend, will give some incentive for new brewers to post up their concerns, brew day successes, disasters. Excellent idea.
The OP has the right idea get to know your malts and hops with a smash, will be very drinkable beer to boot.

[QUOTE="I have decided to do 12ltr batches and if it tastes like shit no great loss, I have a Robobrew v3 and they don't have the halve overflow pipe like the Grainfather doe,s that make a difference ? also is all I have to do is halve the recipe to get 12 ltr anyone else tried this.[/QUOTE]

Hi, if you want a small bach pipework for the robo you can buy the two pipes as spares for $10 each and cut them down to size.

I like to do SMASH biab in a stock pot on the stove top. Absolutely awesome way to focus on the hop and the grain

[QUOTE="I have decided to do 12ltr batches and if it tastes like shit no great loss, I have a Robobrew v3 and they don't have the halve overflow pipe like the Grainfather doe,s that make a difference ? also is all I have to do is halve the recipe to get 12 ltr anyone else tried this.

Hi, if you want a small bach pipework for the robo you can buy the two pipes as spares for $10 each and cut them down to size.[/QUOTE]
Sorry for the late reply,That sounds like a good idea .

I wouldn't worry about the short pipework like the Grainfather (I own a Grainfather). Over the last 20 odd brews I have stopped using the top screen for mash reticulation and haven't had any problems. I use enough silicone hose to circle on top of the grain bed (both small and normal 20L+ batches) to stop boring. This hasn't affected my efficiency at all.
Thanks wozzie I have been thinking of doing the same.

Sometimes you may have to adjust the hops when halving a grain bill, as the good captain says use a brewing calculator, there are some free ones or the site sponsor Brewers Friend, might be a good idea if Admin gave a few away for the best novice posts. I believe its about $25 per year from memory..
Does BS just halve the batch or does it adjust the hops to suit the new batch

Does BS just halve the batch or does it adjust the hops to suit the new batch

I just scaled a recipe both up and down in Beersmith. It does adjust the hop additions that are in the boil. Hop additions of 0mins and later are scaled proportionally with volume.

I just scaled a recipe both up and down in Beersmith. It does adjust the hop additions that are in the boil. Hop additions of 0mins and later are scaled proportionally with volume.
Thanks Mat. I have got BS but I haven't really got the hang of it yet.

Thanks Mat. I have got BS but I haven't really got the hang of it yet.

No worries mate. There's a ton of helpful videos on youtube if you ever get stuck.

Back