• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

"smartstrip" For Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These may work better than the gas ones because the contents are colder being kept in the fridge.

johnno said:
Have you tested it yet Batz?
Isn't there something similar for the 9 kilo gas bottles.
Works on the same principle. Pour the hot water on it. Those were not very good from memory.

cheers
johnno
[post="127365"][/post]​

No Johnno I haven't got one,I only recieved the email about it.
Just posted it out of interest.
Tap handles on that site are cool too,no bat ones but !

Batz

From what I can see they are just one size, 16" long. I measured a 19L cornie keg and the stainless part is about 18" long, so they should fit perfectly.

I'm off to the US next weekend for a couple of weeks, so I might try and bring home a dozen or two. They don't look like they will take up much space in the luggage.

Cheers,

Alan.

the pdf on the site shows them on what looks like a corny 20 lts

All,

My Smartstrips have arrived. I ordered 25. I'll be back in Australia on Monday, so once I'm back I'll figure out how much they cost once exchange rate and shipping etc are taken into account if people are still interested in grabbing a couple.

Cheers,

Alan.

IMG_0250_sml.jpg

All,

My Smartstrips have arrived. I ordered 25. I'll be back in Australia on Monday, so once I'm back I'll figure out how much they cost once exchange rate and shipping etc are taken into account if people are still interested in grabbing a couple.

Cheers,

Alan.

Hi Alan

I'll give them a try, put me down for 2.

Cheers
MAH

I'll also grab two if possible..

Cheers -= Mike

Finally got home and had a chance to try the Smartstrips today. They work pretty well. I've put together the video below to show how it's done. As you can see, the whole strip starts off pink and then turns white when sprayed with hot water (hot tap water is fine, no need for boiling). As the metal in contact with the liquid inside cools, the strip turns pink showing the level on the keg. After about 2 mins back in the fridge the whole strip is pink again. They are slightly shorter than the length of the corny, so I put mine on the bottom part of the keg.

I've also worked out the cost for those who have mentioned their interest above. They are $8.75 each, with P&H of $5 anywhere in Aus. I am also happy for anyone in Bne who wants to pick up. I only have a very limited supply, and this is a once only.

For those who have expressed interest, please confirm via PM.

Cheers,

Alan.

View attachment Movie.wmv

are the strips removable and re-useable on diff cornys??? or do i need to buy 6 of em?

are the strips removable and re-useable on diff cornys??? or do i need to buy 6 of em?

According to the instructions:

"Q: Can I re-use the SmartStrip once the keg is empty ?
A: Yes, the SmartStrip is designed to be reusable; the adhesive backing will hold it securely to the keg for a number of applications. However the amount of applications is equal to the treatment of the SmartStrip and cleanliness of the keg surface"

Cheers,

Alan.

Hi Guys,

I just got mine in the post today, thankyou Alan...

I have to say, they are an EVIL invention!

I just popped them on the kegs in the fridge, gave them a wipe with a warm wet cloth, and found out that one of my kegs only has a couple of litres left in it..... I was perfectly happy before I knew it was going to run out that quickly! If only they didn't work quite as well as advertised, I could have gone on ignorantly happy that my keg was at least a 1/4full.

Cheers
Ben

Hi Alan

My smartstrips arrived at work yesterday. I'll give them a try this weekend. Thanks again.

Cheers
Mark

You can something similar for sticking to the side of gas bottles (BBQ, camping, etc) for about $4 at Woolworths or Bunnings.

no worries Ben & Mark, thanks for letting me know they arrived.

Ben, that was a good find using them with a warm cloth rather than spraying - makes it a heap easier.

Hi Alan,

Smart strips turned up yesterday fitted them today and they work great, no more guessing, and i discoverd one keg is almost out :beerbang:
Well thanks again Rob

I think "Craftbrewer" should think about stocking these.

Batz,

They're now in stock - though as you said, not much value to you with a chest fridge...

Cheers Ross

With my layout, Id be able to spy on them...of course minus the 2 coke kegs in front

keg_layout.jpg

I think "Craftbrewer" should think about stocking these.

Batz,

They're now in stock - though as you said, not much value to you with a chest fridge...

Cheers Ross

I'll still have a fridge that I keep a keg or two in Ross
I go a couple for that price,well worth a try.

Batz

Back