Small Measuring Scales For Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I actually guess my hops by division , as I dont have a small scales to measure them .
Anyone with any suggestions what is the best value small measuring scales to use and where to get from ??

Pumpy

There seems to be a plethora of them on eBay.

Most digital kitchen scales are accurate to 2 grams some even down to 1 gram.

Adjust you recipes to the accuracy of the scales.

Pint of Lager has a very nice set of scales she purchased so if she reads this or you PM her you could get the details.

Steve

Mine only go up in increments of 25 grams .

Chiller is Pint o Lager a female I thought this was a blokey thing

pumpy

If the budget is tight you can buy small postal scales for a few dollars. Get one that only goes to 250g. Use a small saucer so that the pointer points to 50g, and don't add more than 100g of hops and you can weigh your hops accurately enough.

Even if a kitchen scale has 2g divisions I doubt it would be accurate enough to weigh say 15g of hops.

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
If the budget is tight you can buy small postal scales for a few dollars. Get one that only goes to 250g. Use a small saucer so that the pointer points to 50g, and don't add more than 100g of hops and you can weigh your hops accurately enough.

Even if a kitchen scale has 2g divisions I doubt it would be accurate enough to weigh say 15g of hops.

Jovial Monk
Well Monk,

There would appear to be a lack of understanding here so I will explain again.

Digital refers in this case to electronic and in this case indicates a significant improvement over a set of dubious calibrated 250g postal scales. If they are genuine certified scales they will certainly be accurate but the cheap ones certainly wont be. Certified postal scales will cost a significant amount.

I have a set of .1 gram balance beam lab scales that I use for water salts and I have checked my "digital electronic" scales and they are very accurate.

The advantage of this type of scale is the ability to "tare" the scales to the empty container before adding the hops.

Get a decent electronic set and be done with it. and then you will maintain consistent bitterring levels in your beers.

Steve

I got an electronic set at Big w for $20 that measures in 1 gm lots up to 2 kilos. They seem to be ok so far for the price paid.

cheers

johnno

Pumpy said:
Mine only go up in increments of 25 grams .

Chiller is Pint o Lager a female I thought this was a blokey thing

pumpy
Now Pumpy,

Tell me why you would assume the gender of a poster to this list to be male?

This list is both male and female ... probably very few ladies in reality but I am married and my wife is very interested in the majority of the information posted here.

Beer is not just a bloke thing. Perhaps that attitude dictates why most of our commercial beers are so poor. A beer culture such as Belgium caters equally for men and women and as such has a diverse exciting choice of beers to choose from.

Pint of Lager is a very experienced brewer with an excellent knowledge base on yeast management as well as the entire All Grain brewing process. She has won many competitions and always has sound advice to offer. I was privelidged to judge at the last Bathurst show where she took out one of the major prizes.

Just a note on history ....... it was the domain of women for a very long time to make the beer for the household. In Scotland part of a dowery could include the gear needed to brew.

Women would often sell their beer to suppliment the family income in past times.

Steve

Sorry Pint of lager for not knowing you were female :) I apologise if I have offened you in anyway Pumpy

Thanks JM will look out for the postal scales and Johhno for the BW digital ones will check them out .

Thanks Chiller for being the Germaine Greer for Brewers gender rights ( only joking)
Thanks for you suggestions on the scales too

Pumpy

Pumpy the big w are $29.95 and is called master chef i have a set and i way my grains and hops like johnno said 2 kg limit but does 1 grm increments so it works ok for me until i get a better set

Latest posts

Back