Small Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamboat

Fantasy Brewer
Reaction score
I was down at Hungries the other day (breakfast of champions!!!) and they seemed to be having trouble with their soft serve/icecream thing machine.
The bloke pulled open the door at the front of the thing, and living in this little hidey hole under the dispensing tap were 4 little kegs. I would punt these to be of the order of 5 litres in size.
When i looked at the dispense head on the machine, there were 3 or 4 separate nozzles feeding in this flavour syrup from the kegs... souds just like the coke/pepsi setup, but with different sized kegs.

Anybody have any leads on this stuff???

dreamboat

Taylors is the manufacturer of the machine

Macas have the same thickshake dispenser too

the distributor of the machine is in silverwater

not too much info I reckon

I feel these particular kegs would only be good for hand pumped ales as the pressure "in" is in the lid not the the top of the body and the cost to weld a connection in would kill any cost saving

I have one of these kegs, and am currently in the process of getting it ready for use...I picked it up off Ebay for $32....they are 8 L in capacity, which is the equivalent of 24 x 330 ml bottles. It has a 'syrup' (beer) outlet but as it had no lid, I bought one which has a relief valve in it....also grabbed a gas in connector, and picked up a 1/2" BSP socket to weld onto the body, which the connector will then obviously screw into. my only potential problem is getting the welding done so that a urethane seal can be used..I have a method in mind, and I am pretty sure my mate can do it...he has a TIG welder and plenty of argon gas (yes it will be done for free...or probably some alcohol :D ...this should ensure a good seal and no pressure loss. I have no idea where the previous owner of my keg got this one...it only has a couple of small dents, and is in very good nick....should be a great party keg!

A bit of a quick think and..............

KA-BLAM

nipple to fit socket in lid

"T" piece(s/steel of course) female to go onto nipple then gas in on one side and relief valve on other. All sealed with thread tape

TADAAAA !!!

wadda ya rekon????????????

from what I heard using teflon tape is not enough if you want to keep your keg at pressure for extended periods...but if it is for one night (at a party etc) I reckon it might be enough to hold carbonation and pouring pressure...but then again I am only speculating ( no experience kegging......yet) so don't listen to me...someone else must have experience with using teflon to seal threaded connections?

Hmmm......back to the thinking step......mebbe...fibre washer???

No expert here either but I would have thought that teflon tape would seal it just fine. That's good thinking Linz too with the T set up.

Anyone got a picture of these bad boys, I'd be curious just to have a look. I have my own 3Gals so I don't need one but I'd be interested for a look.

Cheers, JD

a3_1_b.JPG

What does the lid look like?
Or is it part of the dispenser?
And if so will the corny lid fit?

Usually a "race track" lid with the gas fitting where the relief valve normally is.

But that one looks like the regular corny lid

yeah I got a regular corny lid with a relief valve in it. I have everything I need to have a gas in ...just have to get it welded

Why damage it?. Why not go the "T" piece route?

Justin said:
No expert here either but I would have thought that teflon tape would seal it just fine. That's good thinking Linz too with the T set up.

Anyone got a picture of these bad boys, I'd be curious just to have a look. I have my own 3Gals so I don't need one but I'd be interested for a look.

Cheers, JD
[post="67532"][/post]​
I work in the natural gas pipe lines at 7,300 kpa plus we use teflon tape foe screw fittings and a different type for stainless

Good point about the t piece idea....I should look into it. I would need a reducer or 2 so it would all screw together. But at the same time, welding the fitting on would not ruin the keg....the guy who will be welding it is very experienced with food grade stainless steel. I will have to have a think about it...maybe I'll work out what fittings I'll need first and decide if it is worth doing.

Re: teflon tape being ok for this....cool, if it'll work it simplifies the welding that will be done :)

iand aren't gas fittings usually a tapered thread? tapered threads give a much better seal than straight threads don't they?

Hi,

I had a chat with my local Macas manager today. :)

He informs me that the ones they now use are around 4 liters and the 8 liter ones are being slowly phased out. This has been going on for some years now. He also said something about 1.5-2.0 liter ones (a bit small me thinks). <_<

He told me that they refill and reuse the kegs in store so there arent heaps lying around. And the Taylor service man takes the old/faulty kegs when they replace/repair the machines. :(

hope this helps

Brian

It took a while but I got my hands on 3 of these kegs. :D They are the 4 L type, in good condition and the price was right. :p They should all fit in one esky i.e. 12 L three flavours mmmmm :beerbang: . Now all I need is a dedicated party keg regulator and adaptor for my soda stream bottle.

new_kegs.jpg

new_kegs_2.jpg

Damn nice Offline :super: I will have to take a few brews along to Maccas next time and see if I can get one.... but there is a good chance to manager is still under 18 :p

What type of connection is the gas in on the lid?

excuse my ignorance but I only see 1 port on the top

do you have to drill and attach anotheror what???

Latest posts

Back