Small Hlt For Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I currently BIAB in a 40ltr crown urn and am hoping to do some step mashes by infusing to desired temps with boiling water (sorry not sure what the technical name of this type of mashing is??)

I am looking to get a 10ltr urn or something similar to provide the boiling water and just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on places with cheap urns going at the moment or anyone with a second hand one they would like to sell..... Or any other ideas of how to achieve this mash process???!

Cheers!

Camo

Hi Guys, I currently BIAB in a 40ltr crown urn and am hoping to do some step mashes by infusing to desired temps with boiling water (sorry not sure what the technical name of this type of mashing is??)

I am looking to get a 10ltr urn or something similar to provide the boiling water and just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on places with cheap urns going at the moment or anyone with a second hand one they would like to sell..... Or any other ideas of how to achieve this mash process???!

Cheers!

Camo

You could install a temp controller on your current urn and adjust the temp in steps to achieve any mash schedule you may want.

Cheers

You could install a temp controller on your current urn and adjust the temp in steps to achieve any mash schedule you may want.

Cheers

I had thought of just ramping the temps but I have been told that the time it would take to ramp up would not suit the mash schedule... I am looking at doing a Kolsch.

I had thought of just ramping the temps but I have been told that the time it would take to ramp up would not suit the mash schedule... I am looking at doing a Kolsch.

I am not familiar with using an urn as brewing equipment.

If the temp would ramp at approx 1 degc per minute then it would be fine.
If it took more than say 2 mins I would do some more research as to what would be the effect on the mash at extended ramp times.

For a Kolsh a decoction would be good.
Can you take a part of the mash and bring it to the boil and then add it back into the main mash? or, would this be impossible in a BIAB ? urn set up?

Cheers

Back